Author Topic: Tell us about you Lottie  (Read 28925 times)

jamie

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
Re:Tell us about you Lottie
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2004, 22:21:18 »
I think the swede suffered from inadequate watering during dry spells. I also had catapillar problems as swedes are brassicas. I popped to the lottie today and my Asparagus is starting to turn yellow. Wicker you're right about cutting down the Asparagus. I also make a ridge with well rotted manure next month. The main problem that I have with Asparagus is the Asparagus beetles in the spring and the grubs that will try and eat the ferns, have you had any problems with these beetles? Wicker your name isn't a reference to bowls is it?

Jamie

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2004, 23:25:38 »
Haven't encountered the beetles yet - pleasure yet to come  :-\  Bowls? No - place of birth  ;D
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2004, 17:12:58 »
This ex allotment of mine..now sold orf...most were old codgers like meself...go down on a Saturday morning for a couple of hours then off to the boozer round the corner.You could not get a more mixed up bunch. One plotholder had a zero line set up so as you would expect everything exact right angles to this line..but as well he thinned out the rows so that everything was in line, so looking longways ...carrots matched parsnips matched lettuces matched beetroot matched gooseberries matched the runner bean sticks and so on. 'Dis-organized' things like rhubarb were at the back out of site behind the runners.Now aint he off his trolley.Then there were the three Musketeers...one plot between them...supposedly shared the work and the veg. One  of 'em..he said "this is like a commune"...you only saw him at harvest time.Delightful people.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2004, 13:52:56 »
Hiya all, I have just taken over another plot as I wanted a shady one well it took me about 12 hours over 3 days to turn the lot over as it had not been used for a few years. As I have done before when I get a plot I strim it over, rake that lot up and start my compost heap, then I strip the top inch and a half and lay the strips face to face for some good loam in later years. The I dig a spit deep with a spade and turn it all over roughly and let the weather do its bit. As I start planting  I dig and weed with a fork only doing enough at a time for what I need.
  I am a gardener by trade and have been using this method for over 30 years, it works for me and keeps me fit. My allotment is on the Isle of wight so I enjoy a longer growing season than most of you on the North Island.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2004, 18:23:21 »
The North Island!! I love it!  ;D
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

skypilot

• Quarter Acre
    • Photo Page
Re: Tell us about you Lottie
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2005, 13:05:20 »
 Hi all,

Just joined this group this week, its really great, lots of sound advice and information.  I have an allotment in Dundee, which I acquired on Monday, I'm cleaning it out of old produce at the moment and the soil has been well cared for and nurtured. The plot came with a 17ft x 6ft x 7ft (aged) green house with a homemade "conservatory" attached, so I'm well pleased. The Lottie, which covers an area of 174.5 square metres, is just a short distance from my home

Whilst quite usable, the greenhouse could do with a bit of TLC, so there is a bit of work to be done on that, it also has an ancient log burning stove, which is usable but again has seen better days a bit of black lead will see that looking nicely.

The plot itself is excellent, very clean, an consists of two large beds beds , one of which is 4.6 m x 17.4 m and the other 15.4 m X 17.4 m. Some careful thought will have to be given to a more manageable subdivision of these areas.

We are not allowed trees or animals on our plots, owners dogs must be kept on leads at all times. Burning of waste is verboten as is smokey greenhouse fires, these must use either white wood, or smokeless fuel.

Water is available on the plot in the form of a standpipe and of course a water-butt. Being at the rear of the allotment area the allotment  is protected by a three foot wall surmounted by four foot spiked railings above which are three  outward pointing rails of  barbed wire . The wall seperates the allotment from the local cemetery ans so, whereas some people have worms at the bottom of their garden, I have dead bodies at the bottom of mine  :o
Here are some pics of my allotment  & others!!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/286599773CoPRDK

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal