Author Topic: Self watering system for Greenhouse  (Read 6269 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Self watering system for Greenhouse
« on: April 28, 2016, 12:00:08 »
Ten days ago, I posted in another thread about my home made self watering system for the greenhouse. I have now taken some photos of my set up and below is how I make them.  It doesn't require budgie waterers so I thought I would post it in its own thread where it is likely to be seen.  The only outlay is the capillary matting and flower pots.... the boxes are free at the market.  The greengrocers or fish merchants throw out the polystyrene boxes and I have been collecting them over the years as I use them to give extra protection to greenhouse plants during the winter.  This is another use that I have now found for them and solves my watering problem at the same time.

Inspect the polystyrene box and ensure that it is watertight with no cracks or holes in the bottom.  Cut the lid so that it fits loosely inside the box and is about half an inch short at one end. 

Measure and cut capillary matting the same width as the lid but almost twice its length. I use WaterWick matting by Gardman as it is good quality.  It is 0.6m wide which is long enough to go lengthwise over the lid with about 25cm to tuck down into the water, so I have very little wastage.

Half fill the box with water and soak the capillary matting. 

Take the matting out and place 2 to 4* flower pots upside down in the water.   The pots need to be big enough to be slightly above the water line.  The number required will depend on how big the polystyrene box is.

Put the matting on the lid with the long end going down into the water.  Lower the lid carefully until it sits on the flower pots. 

Put plants in seed trays or flower pots on top of the matting and water them in.  They can then be left until the water in the box is almost empty.  There is no need to take the lid or plants out to top up with water, as it can be poured in where the lid gap is.   

The finished products.

I really recommend this method and so far it is working well. 

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Self watering system for Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 13:32:04 »
Who's a clever girl then?

Ingenious I like it!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 16:21:37 »
Thank you, Tee Gee. 

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 18:10:44 »
 :icon_thumleft: :thumbsup: Good idea

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 18:30:49 »
Very clever👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 18:43:46 »
Snap!! For decades I have used a similar system. Tongues of the matting (on a heatable bench) are immersed in large tanks of water on the left.

Tim

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 19:28:41 »
I put an edit here but it's not showing. It was.............

PS - I did NOT mean my comment to sound dismissive. Just another approach.

Tim

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 21:26:50 »
I haven't got electric in my greenhouse, Tim, so cannot use a heat mat.  The polystyrene gives the plants a certain amount of protection too and I cover them with fleece at night. 

It's good to hear from you again, Tim and hope all is well with you. x

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 18:32:35 »
Heated bench? Only mentioned that for good measure - can't afford to run it now, except sometimes for getting tomatoes established. Or on a whim! But I do use a heated propagator for germinating.

All well? Depends how you view it!! Mini stroke this time last year, Balance badly affected, fractured my spine in December and broke a couple of ribs this February.................

So - have to be very choosy about what I do in the garden. But I still accept tea invitations. No - I'n NOT standing on a soap box!!

All the best, Tim

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 20:44:31 »
Hey Tim..wonderful to see you here, I have been missing you.  XX Jeannine

Pauline you too, we need to connect again. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 12:04:52 »
Oh dear Tim, you have had a rough time of it.  I expect the fractured spine and broken ribs were painful too and probably still are.  I hope you recover soon, Tim. x

That is a lovely photo of you with Prince Charles and Camilla. 

Jeannine, it's lovely to have you back on here again and I wish you a good growing season even if it is on a much smaller scale these days. x

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 18:53:21 »
Hey I missed the pictures first time..how, this new computer loads so slow sometimes I scroll down and miss things..anyway smashing idea Pauline, those boxes are super, and if you use them in the winter too actually grow in they will give you salad greens , they make great insulated growing boxes for cold weather.

Tim, you look fantastic,and so positive as usual.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal