Author Topic: allotment clothes  (Read 3425 times)

ACE

• Hectare
allotment clothes
« on: April 25, 2016, 09:50:11 »
Now I usually go to the allotments in a ragtag of old clothes that are near the end of their days, scruffy but clean. Somebody who shares my living space decides to clean out the wardrobe and without any consultation dumped loads of stuff that she considered a bit out of fashion. Who needs fashion when they are 70, comfort is my mantra.

So yesterday I had to go dressed as a hipster in skinny jeans with checked shirt and brown boots, but did get out with my spotted neckerchief hidden away under my beard. Not doing a lot today then, was the first remark from the first plot holder doing a fair imitation of a bag lady. Well I proved her wrong as I returned home looking like a well dressed tramp.

Then I got the what are you wearing good clothes like that for gardening, was the remark when I came home. I moaned about the lack of old scruff that had gone missing only to be told they were in her car boot ready for a trip to the tip. I offered to take them to the tip and slipped them all back in the wardrobe when her back was turned. Back to normal today, baggy chinos you can bend in, oversized tee shirt and a pullover that was made when wool was wool. At least I look like a gardener again.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: allotment clothes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 10:13:36 »
My better half keeps moaning that I disappear down the plot in decent clothes and come home filthy.  For some reason I always think that I'll just pop down the plot for a gander and a chinwag so I don't need to find my plot attire. Then I end up digging or building something or helping someone shift a load of poo and I come home dirty and stinking of horse wee.

If I do get my act together then it's old army trousers liberated from the CCF bin (or one of numerous pairs of karki shorts if I am out to scare the old biddies with my lily white legs), old t shirt and good old jumper if it is cold.

Oddly I was once in an advert for Bupa - they wanted a real allotment holder on a real allotment for some reason that escapes me .  So naturally the first thing they did was turn up with a load of brand new *old* clothes which looked terrible so I ended up wearing what I turned up in and I looked "proper"...
I though the ad would be tucked away in a local rag and maybe a few billboards - turned out my ugly mug was all over the underground and railway platforms as well as full pages ads in the Times, Torygraph etc..  Mrs Barriedalenick got the shock of her life looking out of her train window on the way to work to see a fill sized billboard of me looking back at her..  I'll have to dig out the pics one day!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 13:19:22 »
I'll have to dig out the pics

Yes please!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 15:38:14 »
I'll have to dig out the pics one day!

Today is a good day  :icon_cheers:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 19:34:48 »
Here goes and don't say I didn't warn you!

Can you tell they went to sainsburies to get some cabbages as it was March and the plot was bare!!!!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 21:03:49 »
That is great! Cabbages so carefully placed as well.........
I particularly like the one with you pointing at yourself.....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 08:09:07 »
Lol, can imagine it was quite a surprise for your wife to see you posted about the place  :toothy10:

Nice rows of short growing cabbages!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 14:33:35 »
A surprise ? Yes but no necessarily a nice one.. 

I did have a few mates say to met that they had seen a bloke in an advert who looked just like me...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal