Author Topic: Thank you from my Rhubarb  (Read 5985 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Thank you from my Rhubarb
« on: May 07, 2016, 07:09:45 »
I took the advice and used the liquid fertiliser on my rhubarb and the effect has been truly amazing. 

I have a clump in the garden which has always struggled.  I grew it from seed 25 years ago.  It is green stemmed but has a fabulous flavour.  Efforts to propagate from it have only resulted in murder.  The plant was small and the stems were never very long and I only got one treasured meal a year from it.

Within two weeks of the 'treatment' the plant has literally quadrupled in size.  It now has thick stems and huge leaves.   Really had not expected the effect to be so quick.  Many thanks for all those that suggested this course of action.  And it's free.

powerspade

• Hectare
Re: Thank you from my Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 06:15:35 »
I started off my Rhubarb from seed and was small and poorly for a while then I moved it from my allotment to my garden and I planted it next to my compost bin. All the liquid goodness from the Bin seeps to the Rhubarb and not the thing grows like oak tree with long thick stems of red loveliness the taste is wonderful and I`m having crumble every week with the occasional tart mmmmm. Sometimes you have to find the right spot for rhubarb

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 11:28:08 »
That post is not fair. Since New year I have been careful what I eat and lost the equivalent of a bag of cement. Doing well until I read about the rhubarb. I walked past it 3 or 4 times but eventually I had to pick some. So today the first pud of the year will be eaten, just a small one which I shall have to work off on the treadmill. Thankyou.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 15:36:11 »
I zap my rhubarb in the microwave with some apple juice and then eat with plain zero fat yoghurt, I like the Skyr when they are on special offer.  Not high in calories no does not need working of, though did spend 3 hours at lottie this morning.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 16:22:03 »
i do much the same stick it in the ding machine then put it ontop of cheesecake with a big dollop of clotted cream fantastic
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 19:22:58 »
Now, that sounds a proper job Johhnyco!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 08:28:54 »
Ace, there is Sweet Cicely, the herb takes some of the sharpness of rhubarb away.  It is the added sugar that is fattening, but with rhubarb somehow sweetener doesn't quite taste the same as sugar.  A frond or two of Sweet Cicely makes a difference. 

Digeroo, I have never microwaved rhubarb.  Good idea.  Do you eat it plain or with sugar? 

:wave:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 03:06:11 »
I want to say thanks too, my rhubarb looks like a completely different plant to last year! Now it has leaves as long as my arm and nice thick stems, fantastic. :)

I was close to digging it up last year, but after advice from lovely people here I gave it loads of manure and urine and grass clippings and water and it seems that was exactly what it needed.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 06:46:20 »
Sorry , I think I missed something here  ?  What is " the treatment " please ?  Debbie  :sunny:
Trespassers will be composted !

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 08:57:35 »
Sorry , I think I missed something here  ?  What is " the treatment " please ?  Debbie  :sunny:

Looking back through his posts, it mentions using 'liquid gold' aka diluted urine as a fertiliser. It's free and a shame to waste it!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal