Author Topic: What is the worst tasting vegetable you have ever grown?  (Read 9182 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: What is the worst tasting vegetable you have ever grown?
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 23:44:13 »
I intensely dislike the smell of some  garlic on folks but the worst comes from the powdered garlic that is used so much today. eg if you make a salad dressing with fresh garlic, compare to one made with powdered garlic or buy a bottle of  readymade dressing, you can smell the difference so easily. one of the worst uses for it is BBQ flavor crisps or BBQ flavor sauce, it really stinks on the breath and then is sweated out of the body which is even worse.I really believe if the folks that ate these realized just how bad it smells and for how long they wouldn't eat them

There are ways of preparing fresh garlic that doesn't leave the odour on your breath at all. 24 Clove Garlic Chicken is one recipe that springs to mind.. 24 cloves and no mouth odour.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 07:19:35 »
Parsnips, also this year it will be sweet potatoes, I do not like the sweetness, but somebody else does, so I grow them. But the taste buds have changed over the years. Once upon a time I would not give broad beans a look in, but since growing my own, I love them even the big ones in their leather jackets. Nearly forgot Jerusalem artichokes, I tried them and all I seem to associate them with is the time I spilt paraffin on my hands then ate a sandwich. I do grow them as it is fun to watch the Yeti in pink knickers mincing around with her @rse clenched tight.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 11:48:33 »
BEETROOT!!!!!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 13:39:47 »
Salsify: spindly roots and poor flavour
Salsify roots are spindly (especially as I prefer to make my roots work harder so they pick up a wider range of minerals), BUT they hardly ever fork or wrinkle so they are smooth apart from the root hairs and pretty easy to clean - I usually just scrub them even though that leaves a few 1/2mm root hair stubs on them (as long as all the soil is off). Given the choice of scorzonera (with bigger roots but a black skin to peel) I find salsify much more convenient.

The flavour is lovely to me - and it's a bit subtle so I prefer to avoid boiling in water. I steam them (microwave as often as not) or cook them in a stew/soup or roast them (which concentrates the flavour) - everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm surprised that anyone who eats other roots could be put off - it's not as if they are marmite, durian, garlic etc.

My approach may be equally eccentric - I love all the usual veg.(apart from boiled potatoes - and I count potatoes baked in foil as boiled) and I love many of the unusual ones even more (I actively seek out and enjoy slight bitterness eg. sprouts) - I've already posted my dislikes...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 16:19:31 »
I agree with whoever mentioned chicory and bitter lettuce, I just cannot acquire a taste for those. Cucamelons I didn't dislike but I didn't like them either. Oh and elephant garlic is another I couldn't take to. I would rather use the space for regular garlic.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 08:47:04 »
Palustris  I think I would have needed those Japanese greens to take away the taste of sweet corn shoots 5 years on I can still taste them weapon grade  sweetness  not good.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 06:31:05 »
Asparagus peas for me, vile things I grew many years ago when I first got a plot. I also don't like broad beans so have never grown them....may be I should give them a try sometime as I last tasted them at school dinners many many moons ago!
Jerusalem artichoke are something I won't grow on my new plot, taste ok but didn't agree with my tummy, kids used to call them fartichoke  :tongue3:
I don't grow brussels either as I dislike them intensely & we never have them with our Christmas dinner.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal