Author Topic: Moving house  (Read 6784 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Moving house
« on: April 21, 2016, 21:18:26 »
OH wants to move to nearer the sea, to get away from lovely Enfield.  Have paid my allotment fee this year, as the house is not up for sale yet.  I have done a bit of digging and weeding, and spoken to friends at the allotment, but will miss it if we move.  Not too keen on planting too much, but the fruit trees seem to be doing OK, and have got loads of rhubard, it is so expensive in the shops and next door loves it.  Going to Weymouth next week to have a look around the area.  If I get a house with a big garden and maybe a greenhouse I will be happy.
Dream on.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Moving house
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 08:50:22 »
Good luck with the house hunting.  Use any spare time to clear our your cupboards and drawers and attic and garage.

I would plant cheap plugs or sowings of quick salads plus brassicas  and maybe some onion sets so you get some crops if you stay longer than hoped but don't lose too much if you do go before they mature.  Better to have plants than weeds anyway.
Obxx - Vendée France

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 21:41:48 »
Good advice from Obelixx.

We have recently moved and spent ages clearing rubbish from attic, shed, garage and house. It is the "invisibles " that catch you out.  You know the things that you see every day but don't see when you are looking for them.  We had two "sweeps" through the house after the removers left and it is only now, three days later, that we realise that we left a toilet brush.

Borlotti you will have to put your name down on the waiting list for an allotment when you move.  A couple of things for definite is that there is a "five " year waiting list;  The allotments are smaller and rhubarb does not grow well on site!

Good luck with the search.  If you get to the seaside you will be able to get free sea weed!

Regards

Bill

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 22:12:10 »
I think a few trips to the charity shop will be good.  I will not get another allotment as sorry to say I am getting too old. The allotment has been great for 12 years, but we are not using all the produce and giving it away, and food is cheap for only two of us, but I did enjoy it and the people at the allotment are great, and friendly. A small garden will do me OK.  Hoping to buy a two bedroom bungalow.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 22:16:39 »
I am glad i moved the veg garden to the house and whilst i was bitter at the time it was a good decision.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 23:44:28 »
By the sea is wonderful Borlotti. I miss my lotties but I can still garden  here, not the same as having lots of space , it is challenging but it gives one a whole new thing to learn. I am growing mini veg, it has been fun researching the varieties and planning the space but am hopeful I can get a bit of everything in OK.

Good look with your house hunting, we (daughter, SIL and I) have been looking for a different house for three years now but we want acreage and a second house on the property for me and it has to be the standard of the one we have now , all in all it seems impossible, but I want my chickens back so keep hoping.

I hope you find what you are looking for  and you get to garden too.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 20:02:14 »
What's happening on the house front B.   :tongue3:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 13:59:56 »
I've been thinking of it too.  I was born by the sea and would like to be near it again.  I found a really nice BandB for sale in Dorset and looked at it on google maps - right next door to a load of allotments.  I even phoned them up to see if there was a waiting list.  There wasn't!!  Almost put the house on the market there and then but reality set in and I am still here in sunny SE london..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 19:43:15 »
Still in sunny enfield, houses going up in price, still looking at the isle of wight. Hope the cat likes it.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 18:51:13 »
Good to hear that things are still bubbling :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 09:59:02 »
House prices going up your not kidding B
After we decororated and put some new windows, doors and worktops in we had a valuation done
Remember we had only been there 10 months and it had gone up 20 grand and if we get off street parking sorted another 10
How are our kids going to buy a place at this rate.    :drunken_smilie:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 09:13:48 »
Kev,  beats going out for work, when you can just stay at home and earn more  :glasses9:  Very much share your sentiments about our kids.  the generation with the big loans round their neck, a retirement age that is ever further pushed into the future and by the time they get there, will there be any pension left?  Much lower professional starting salaries than in the past and much lower salaries generally and affording their own house is getting harder, especially in urban areas.

How is it going Borlotti?  Good luck with it all, especially with finding a garden you like  :wave:

House prices going up your not kidding B
After we decororated and put some new windows, doors and worktops in we had a valuation done
Remember we had only been there 10 months and it had gone up 20 grand and if we get off street parking sorted another 10
How are our kids going to buy a place at this rate.    :drunken_smilie:

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:15:23 by galina »

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 11:13:59 »
Not much at the present.  Have a few problems, ie my son had a nervous breakdown and is in the Priory Hospital and my sister lost her husband and can't go out and doesn't like being left alone, so I am doing a bit of caring and worrying at the moment.  But do still want to move but waiting for things to get better.  The allotment is coming too much for me, why on earth did I plant a minature Xmas tree and a fig tree not in a pot.  The blackcurrant bushes and redcurrant bushes are very old and need digging out and a beech tree seeded itself.  Nothing much as grown this year, only my sweet peas, so all in all a bit fed up.  Still a lovely day today, and tennis to watch. OH has taken half of the back yard/garden for car parking which is OK as I have the allotment and he said it would put value on the house, and I didn't believe him at first, but as the parking has got so bad think he is right (for once).  Newquay, Cornwall looked nice on the TV last night. I too feel sorry for young people, most pensioners have paid off their mortgage and don't need so many clothes or food and can live cheaply, apart from heating bills.  Still we were hard up when I first got married and had to buy off the milkman at the end of the week and pay later, often got a sub off work, and no pay day loans.  Maybe should look at Broxbourne, near Kev but OH wants to go by the sea.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 12:30:52 »
Borlotti, I hope you find somewhere soon.  There are some lovely places on the south coast, including the Isle of Wight.  The only thing that would put me off the latter is having to get the ferry to go anywhere.  I believe residents get cheaper fares but it would still mean forking out money and adding time to every journey. 

Weymouth is lovely during the day but like most towns, can get a bit rough at night.  I think the coast gets prettier further west.  My friend moved to a bungalow about 2 miles outside Bridport and about 3 miles from the sea.  She loved it there but eventually moved to Sutton Coldfield to be near her son and family. 

You should do well selling a house in London.  I heard on the News that properties in London are now attractive to a lot of people outside Britain as the pound is so low against other currencies.  Is your house on the market yet?  I lived in London when I was in my 20's and was a square peg in a round hole there.  It's like Marmite really, you either love it or hate it!

My husband and I have talked about moving but only when our house and garden gets too much for us.  We are in a lovely rural position in a small village about 10 miles from Salisbury.  From our summerhouse we have lovely views down our paddock of beautiful trees and shrubs and there is not a house to be seen.  When we have to move though, we will be looking for somewhere on the south coast, probably in the Roseland Peninsular, Cornwall. 

I have just seen your latest thread, Borlotti.  I am so sorry to read about your son and wish him a speedy recovery.  I am also sorry to hear about your sister too. 

Newquay does look attractive but the last time we visited, there were a lot of lager louts and that was about 4pm, not even evening time!  Many of the other places along the north coast attract a lot of surfers and some of the single young men can be rowdy too.  Being "oldies", we go to the quietest and most beautiful places on the south coast of Cornwall where there are some lovely gardens to visit.  There are many estauries with woodlands running down to the shoreline.  We like it so much that we visit south Cornwall about three times a year.  It is relatively easy to get to these days as the A30 is very nearly dual carriageway all the way from the M5.  They were building the final stretch near Launceston when we were there last summer and it delayed us for over an hour!  It is due to be finished in Spring 2017. There is an alternative route further south and we used that when we went to Cornwall two months ago.  If you haven't visited southern Cornwall, then why not take a holiday there?

Good luck in your search, Borlotti.  I hope you find something soon. 

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 19:29:58 »
Borlotti, I hope you find somewhere soon.  There are some lovely places on the south coast, including the Isle of Wight.  The only thing that would put me off the latter is having to get the ferry to go anywhere.  I believe residents get cheaper fares but it would still mean forking out money and adding time to every journey. 

Weymouth is lovely during the day but like most towns, can get a bit rough at night.  I think the coast gets prettier further west.  My friend moved to a bungalow about 2 miles outside Bridport and about 3 miles from the sea.  She loved it there but eventually moved to Sutton Coldfield to be near her son and family. 

You should do well selling a house in London.  I heard on the News that properties in London are now attractive to a lot of people outside Britain as the pound is so low against other currencies.  Is your house on the market yet?  I lived in London when I was in my 20's and was a square peg in a round hole there.  It's like Marmite really, you either love it or hate it!

My husband and I have talked about moving but only when our house and garden gets too much for us.  We are in a lovely rural position in a small village about 10 miles from Salisbury.  From our summerhouse we have lovely views down our paddock of beautiful trees and shrubs and there is not a house to be seen.  When we have to move though, we will be looking for somewhere on the south coast, probably in the Roseland Peninsular, Cornwall. 

I have just seen your latest thread, Borlotti.  I am so sorry to read about your son and wish him a speedy recovery.  I am also sorry to hear about your sister too. 

Newquay does look attractive but the last time we visited, there were a lot of lager louts and that was about 4pm, not even evening time!  Many of the other places along the north coast attract a lot of surfers and some of the single young men can be rowdy too.  Being "oldies", we go to the quietest and most beautiful places on the south coast of Cornwall where there are some lovely gardens to visit.  There are many estauries with woodlands running down to the shoreline.  We like it so much that we visit south Cornwall about three times a year.  It is relatively easy to get to these days as the A30 is very nearly dual carriageway all the way from the M5.  They were building the final stretch near Launceston when we were there last summer and it delayed us for over an hour!  It is due to be finished in Spring 2017. There is an alternative route further south and we used that when we went to Cornwall two months ago.  If you haven't visited southern Cornwall, then why not take a holiday there?

Good luck in your search, Borlotti.  I hope you find something soon. 

Any of you going that way(A30 Launceston), either to live or hols, I highly recommend a visit to Homeleigh
www.homeleighonline.co.uk/
Its like a motorway services for gardeners. Got everything you may wish for ,for the garden, home,farm, fish for ponds, fish for frying, fishing tackle and bait, fast food outlet, nice cafe, restuarant, toilets. Its not family but they make  you think it is !
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 01:21:38 »
I have visited a lot of garden centres in Cornwall but missed that one!  We always come home with lots of plants which we transport in our caravan shower!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal