Author Topic: Anyone into canaries  (Read 3908 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Anyone into canaries
« on: April 20, 2016, 18:13:44 »
Hi, I am buying a canary, any little tricks I nee to know   XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Anyone into canaries
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 19:30:21 »
Know nothing about caged birds except they will be happier with a fellow feathered friend
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 20:19:49 »
I used to have a pair. Nice wee souls. If you can find a local bird society and get direct from breeder you are likely to have a younger, healthier one than some pet stores.

If you are not set on a canary...a very young budgie is a fantastic companion. Again going direct to a breeder, some will finish off / semi hand rear and they will be silly tame! If I didn't have a cat Id have two wee tame budgies in an instant :)

Cockatiels also similar but a bit noisier...great pets though.

With birds get seller to show rear end...should be clear and no sign of wet/ smelly droppings in cage.

Also look at area around top of beak. Look for crusting ( not good)

Also look for a clear bright eye.

Discharge or whistle sounding nostrils are another no no.

Feathers should be bright and not chewed
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 20:22:38 by Hector »
Jackie

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 21:10:24 »
I don't know much about birds, but please get the biggest cage that is reasonable and allow it plenty of exercise time. I get so sad seeing animals in tiny cages where they can't behave naturally. Birds need to fly.

Lots of toys and other enrichment activities, and the company of others of their species as appropriate.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 21:50:41 »
The males whistle much more often and intensively than the females, especially in spring.

Cheers

Beersmith
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 23:37:34 »
It is a canary I have decided on, I am just waiting for his cage to arrive from Amazon, it is a good size, 31 wide x 37 high so he should have plenty o f room  Gee that showed up too small.

He is a Harz German  Roller Male and is coming from a good  registered breeder and he is pedigree so I think I have done all the buying part right.

Trying to think of a name for him..Percy maybe  LOL

I have thought about it for such a long time, I never do these things in a hurry. well rarely,not quite like buying seeds!!

I am getting quite excited as they sing so beautifully..

XX Jeannine

« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 23:43:41 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 23:51:00 »
Delighted fo you. Lovely wee characters :)
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 07:17:02 »
He Comes from  top winning stock for singing so he needs a name befitting his  lofty place in life,,maybe I should call him Caruso..any ideas anyone,, of course he is German, and no I am not calling Adolph.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 20:14:54 »
Well he was delivered to me last night, a very dedicated passionate breeder brought him. I have called him just William..he seems to have settled down well and this morning he started to sing a little ,Oh and by coincidence today is his 1st birthday. His pedigree is very posh. I hope I can do justice to this special bird..

The breeder was quite impressed with my trays of micro greens and took one home for hid birds, he had never seen them before.

I am a bit nervous as he is so small but I think w will all be just fine.

So my per family now consists of 2 Chihuahuas', Florence and Maisie which were my Mothers names and now William which was my Fathers name.. they would get a big kick out of that.

XX Jannine

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 20:19:34 »
Wishing you and William a very tuneful partnership :)
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal