Author Topic: Training gooseberries/fruit bushes vertically  (Read 2880 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Training gooseberries/fruit bushes vertically
« on: April 17, 2016, 12:34:21 »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N0m5Qt1ipro

I really like this chaps videos and used to enjoy his website....can't see it now.

At 3:57 and 4:03 he grows fruit bushes trained vertically in narrow cages. Have any of you done this? I'm thinking of doing this inbetween my big strawberry bed and wondering what width of spacing from other plants to allow when growing vertically.

I've asked George on his video comments section.

I'm wondering about doing the same with other fruit bushes.
Jackie

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Training gooseberries/fruit bushes vertically
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 12:49:12 »
You can grow gooseberries and red currants as cordons because they frit on spurs rather than on new wood as black currants. I used to grow gooseberries and red currants as cordons as they take up a lot less space and are easier to pick.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 14:33:48 »
Thanks Laurie. I'd like to d that. Any recommended spacing so/ distance between row ofcordoned gooseberries and other plants?
Jackie

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 15:13:45 »
Hi Hector,
I should have included white currants although they are not grown so much nowadays. As far as spacing it really depends on what plants you want next to your fruit but do remember you need enough space to walk and work without catching o the fruits.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 17:34:28 »
They have a lot of fruit at Wisley grown on vertical cordons.  Sometimes with two main stems. 

I have got white currants though they are actually pink.    Considerably pinker than the expensive pink variety which I bought.  I prefer the taste of the red.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 19:20:49 »
Thanks all. I'm really looking forward to growing gooseberries. Last time I did this was 40 years ago. My Father had a thing for them, so my job was weeding gooseberry patch and harvesting. Wee hands good for avoiding big thorns :)
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal