Author Topic: What benefits from being grown in a raised bed that has grown the pea family?  (Read 2289 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Hi everyone, another question about follow on crops....this is the first year I have tried to grow more than one crop in a raised bed in one season so I am wondering if there is a certain crop that likes to be grown in soil that has already had the pea family grown in it? I will have totally harvested my Mangetout bed in about 2 weeks....what would be best to sow after the harvest?
The raised bed next to the Mangetout has Sugarsnaps in it & they will be completely harvested in about 3 weeks time.

In the past I have let the raised beds rest until the Spring after harvesting in the late Summer. I don't have any seedlings ready to plant out so I will be needing to sow direct from seeds...I have Beetroot, Spinach, Rocket, April Cabbage, Swiss Chard, Pak Choi, Swede, Kohl Rabi, Lambs Lettuce, Turnip seeds I can use. Many years ago I remember reading about certain crops benefiting from following other crops but I can't remember where I read it & googling isn't really helping.
Thank you for any advice xJane

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Peas are a legume so they will fix nitrogen ... but this will only really be released in to the soil if you keep the roots in the soil to rot down and a lot of the nitrogen they fixed will have gone in to growing the pea plants themselves.

I'm all for multi-cropping beds.  Just make sure you either add some more organic matter to keep the soil in good health as you do it.  Of your list of seeds, the only thing I think it's a bit too late to sow is swedes.  You could add chinese cabbage, carrots, winter/spring cabbages, purple sprouting to the list and still get something worthwhile.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Thanks again Squeezyjohn....I did wonder about the vague memory I have of certain crops adding things to the soil. As I don't want to leave the beds empty I'm going to be pulling up the roots of the Mangetout & Sugarsnaps so as you say the nitogen won't really get into the soil.
I've got some sprouting broc seeds that say last sowing is June but I may give them a go as you suggest. I don't mind if they end up being on the small side.
The swede seeds are for a variety called Invitation & the packet says sowing in July is ok but I did wonder as it seems late to me too.

What organic matter would you recommend adding to the bed?
The bed was created this Spring using clay soil from the allotment plus I added very large bags of new compost to make the soil workable. I was eager to get started & the clay was way too wet to work on its own.  xjane

rollingrock

a legume bed can be planted peas > beans >Peas
a root bed can be planted radish>carrots>radish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal