Author Topic: Getting the heat in chillies  (Read 5155 times)

lifesahaze

• Not So New ...
Getting the heat in chillies
« on: April 07, 2016, 14:14:26 »
I'm a chilli fan and try and grow different varieties.  I've been fairly successful with the basics, such as jalapenos, habaneros, lemon chillies etc., but last year went for a bhut jolokia which fruited a little - but the fruits had very little heat!  This is of course not what I was expecting. 

This year I'm going for some trinidad scorpions, ghost chillies and carolina reapers amongst the others, but was wondering whether anyone has any thoughts about my bhuts?  I've been told they need heat while they're growing for the heat to come through in the peppers; but anything else? 

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Getting the heat in chillies
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 14:20:44 »
the best way to get extra heat in any chill is to stress the plant a day before harvest do this by either flooding the plant with water or letting it dry out i prefer the drying out method as its easier to hydrahe one most suited to you hope this hete the plant after harvest rather than try to dry it out thats my method and it works for me im sure youll get loads of different way im sure they will all work try them all and get the one that works for you best hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 16:24:19 »
You have to treat the ghost chilli plants a bit mean like johhnyco15 said you have stress them a bit. Best is to let the growing medium to dry out or by damaging the plant to make it feel like its being attacked this way the chillies will be really hot.

lifesahaze

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 19:46:41 »
Thank you! I'll try doing that this year - if you hear strange noises from Devon this summer/autumn, you'll know it's worked and I'm eating proper hot chillies.  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal