Author Topic: Where exactly is your lottie?  (Read 122300 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:Where exactly is your lottie?
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2004, 20:40:37 »
Ecky thump, Les, I moved house!

wolflike

• Not So New ...
  • My cat hiding
    • Wolflike
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2004, 18:01:05 »
Don't have a lottie.
Just a large garden area in Sunnyhill, Derby.
The best thing about growing your own is knowing that somebody didn't get chain ganged into picking it!

Blogging away at www.wolflike.co.uk

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2004, 14:30:44 »
like a burger, between the big M and a football ground :o not exactly scenic, unlike Mimi's.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2004, 18:03:03 »
Yes, but I bet your soil is a lot better than mine  ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2004, 10:46:42 »
Derek the fox I'm near you - I'm in Sherbourne Allotments in Cov, near Safeways - we might be neighbours :)
Joolieeee

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2004, 12:13:34 »
I'm in the Kingdom of Mercia, too. I look after part of my mother-in-law's garden, just inside Wolverhampton, and I've got the use of part of a large garden behind the local shops, which will be built on eventually, and the owner just wants it keeping in some sort of order up till then. Our own garden (which is the Gaffer's territory) is half full of sheds, rabbits, sheds, chickens, sheds and a playhouse that the lads no longer use (evil schemes being hatched as I write....) ;D
Sumer is a coming in....

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2004, 17:34:18 »
Like a couple of others darkest Essex, Ingatestone to be precise.

In fact I think I'm a serf, as I am under the impression the the allotments are owned by the local lord of the manor, rather than t'council.

Jeremy

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2004, 00:20:50 »
Be careful or you could find yourself condemned to the Tracle Mines at Pleshey.
Sumer is a coming in....

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2004, 09:46:57 »
I'm getting worried -as the hairline recedes I'm running out of forelock to tug!

J

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2004, 15:32:39 »
Get Margaret Roding to lend you some of hers - now she's Abbess Roding she doesn't need it. Did you have a Good Easter, by the way?
Sumer is a coming in....

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2004, 16:17:02 »
I think the memory is going with the hair :( As far as I can remember we went to mum-in-laws for a couple of days. I did do things on the allotment -but I'm not sure what, probably building up the muck heap -someone kindly delivers us fresh horse manure but I'm told it needs stacking for a year before using due to all the shavings. Probably topped up the no-dig beds too and planted out some beetroot.

J

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2004, 12:42:04 »
I have a similar problem - we have 27 .. 33 .. 41 ... 49... LOTS of rabbits, 12 hens and a cookerel (actually the 2nd o in that should be a c, but if I do that it will appear as a thingyerel), and they produce a lot of "recyclables", but since they are largely bedded on shavings, it's normally more like 2 years than 1 before they are sufficiently composted to be used.
Sumer is a coming in....

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2004, 14:37:30 »
I was hoping that with a lot of grass clippings & other green stuff it could be accelerated a bit to next year. That said the clay soil we're on is supposed to be chock-full of nitrogen -according to the chap on the next plot who wasn't too tight to get his soil tested, and wants breaking up more than it wants feeding -it's more nasties in the mix that I'm worried about.

Lastly, I'm planning to put it on rather than in, digging four small beds initially half killed me (bad back) so I don't think it's reasonable to do the rest and re-dig the 1st lot each year -anyway that's why god made worms & root veg :)

Jeremy

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2004, 16:14:52 »
If you are on clay you could lime this year while you wait for the compostto break down - muck & lime are best applied in seperate years (lime goes best with the pulses, so it's just as well they don't need nitro to turbocharge them).
Sumer is a coming in....

mickey

« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2004, 13:36:24 »
Northampton anyone?

I've just taken on a plot on a big site (300 plots) between Abington Vale and Weston Favell. It's on the crest of a hill looking across the nene valley - very exposed - I've been told that sheds go over in the wind if not weighed down.

Couch grass!? Don't talk to me about b*****y couch grass - it's everywhere! Although I have started with the best of intentions, I am now seriously considering giving some money to Monsanto :-\ for some R****u*.

Meanwhile, me and the boy, Paddy, managed to get a row of main crop spuds in at the weekend.

Why oh why do lottie associations rotovate perennial weeds back into vacant plots?

Peas and love all

Mickey

nikonye

• Not So New ...
  • I love the smell of Radox in the morning
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2004, 19:11:41 »
Forster Road Beckenham

very new to this, three weeks, all of rain , sorry to every one about that all my fault. Really can't wait to start but have mislaid my flippers and snorkel. :(

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2004, 13:23:44 »
Hi Guys :)

Newbie to the board.

I am located in Cornwall and after quite some time trying to get a lottie have given up :'( as most of the area is rural farm land and people tend to have gardens they are very hard to come by.

But a neighbour and I approached our landlord and local land owner and we were told that some one that had moved out a few months before did have a bit of land but never did much to it. He only cleared a couple of metres square and stuck spuds and stuff in there. Idea as we live about 30 seconds walk to it and I can see it from my front door!

So we now have a large shared garden we are reclaiming from the bracken and brambles which will take soom time but should be worth it.

I think I have had chats with some of you before I know I have with Gavin.

Just wanted to say Hi and see if anyone else is in my area.

Sam

"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

Zoay

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2004, 20:17:04 »
Ours (of 3 days!) is in Alvaston, Derby... wonder if it in the same place as Len's??

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2004, 22:28:12 »
Sounds great Pixie.  Where abouts in Cornwall are you?

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2004, 10:01:39 »
My humble slice of this green and pleasant land resides in North London, Enfield. Carterhatch Playing Fields. A 5 minute walk away from my front door.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal