Author Topic: Where exactly is your lottie?  (Read 123945 times)

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
Re:Where exactly is your lottie?
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2004, 09:23:05 »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2004, 14:50:05 »
Speedy, what a great Lottie you have there and a cracking website too, it appears to be quite well secured (big gates high walls), with loads of facilitys. I have copied your web addy for future refence, thanks. Roy ;)

P.S. My spell checkers broke ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 14:51:04 by Roy Bham UK »

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2004, 09:31:45 »
Thanks Roy (note for others - it's not my website - belongs to the allotment association!).

We do indeed have nice high walls on 3 sides of the site - it's on Royal Parks Land, used to be part of a paddock for the Royal gee-gees (hence the name) but was bequeathed to 'the labouring classes of Hampton Wick' (!) by King George V in 1921.

The walls and the gates keep out the vandals (but not the foxes - they're resident I think) - as long as people remember to close the gates - and the fence on the fourth side of the site is being replaced with high pointy railings. We've no mains water but lots of boreholes with Victorian-style hand-pumps around the site. It's like stepping back in time when you go through those gates.

It's very handy for me as the entrance to our flats is directly opposite the gates! Couldn't get much closer!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 09:32:22 by SpeedyMango »

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
Re: Where exactly is your lottie?
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2005, 19:19:56 »
My allotments are in Tamworth,run by the tamworth allotment association,have to pay about £3.00 per year for water, The soil where l am is very good now that all the cooch grass as been removed.  I am up there as soon as it is light in the mornings, when l am not at work, Someone walked by the other day and asked if l had my bed in the shed as l always seem to be their. But at the end of the day l think that you only get out what you put in, and if God forbid l was to die on my allotment l think that l would die a happy man.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2005, 19:39:55 »
My plot is owned by my Father-in-law (been in the family for years apparently) and is in Stoney Stanton in Leicestershire. About 4 miles from Hinckley if anyone knows it!  :)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2005, 20:37:59 »
Is that near Sapcote Tim??  Not far from a quarry.  Think I visited there many many moons ago.. Inlaws hailed from that area at the time.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2005, 20:58:17 »
Small world Mimi, it's about a mile from Sapcote and there are several quarries, hence the name Stoney Stanton I guess. The largest is called Stoney Cove and is now a National Dive Centre.

Tim

Lillypad

• Quarter Acre
  • Harrogate
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2005, 10:00:47 »
My plot's at Harlow Hill, Harrogate - not far from Harlow Carr Gardens. Unfortunately, it's on heavy clay and is prone to flooding.

EJ - my grandparents lived in Danbury. Gramps was a superb gardener - self sufficient except for bananas and other 'tropical' fruit. Sadly, he died long before I became interested in gardening.

Lillypad

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2005, 23:11:36 »
No one near me :(
Our plot is at Christchurch in Dorset, very sandy soil and workable all year, we have a 15 x 10 polytunnel and a greenhouse, shed and tea room on our plot which ia 10 rods, we used to have 20 rods but found we didnt need it all and there was a waiting list for plots so we gave one up.
ben lottie keepers for 6 years now and had had one before in Poole, Dorset.
I love it up there i relax away from phones and have some lovely wild life up there and bacon butties taste good in the fresh air :)

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2005, 09:01:23 »
We're quite near flowerofshona, we (myself and fosteri) just got our plot in Weymouth.  Dunno exctally how big it is yet, not very! We're hoping to make a start Saturday morning, very exciting.  I have the radox on standby - its fairly overgrown, all grass, haven't seen of which variety yet.

We're hoing its going to serve three purposes:

1) Enable us to cancel our fortnightly organic veg boxes
2) Provide entertainment and an intrest in where our food comes from for our 4 children (2 each)
3) Provide refuge from our 4 children (6 if you include husbands!)

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2005, 11:15:00 »
Hi Guys
My lottie is on maidenhead road opposite windsor racecourse in ...windsor!
we have a fab association and i am now a full committee member! we have a hall that holds dances and we have a fab cheap bar! ::)
jem x

abarton6

• Not So New ...
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2005, 21:37:12 »
Hi there,

I am AL. A brand new allotmenteer.

My plot is in Hastings, East Sussex.

It has not been cultivated for several years and has grassed over. I am going to tarp off an area tomorrow and work out where I want the first set of beds to go.
Future ideas - apart from loads of yummy veg - include a kids den are maybe in willow.

Alison

abarton6

• Not So New ...
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2005, 21:45:01 »
Hi there Flowerofshona,
I grew up near Christchurch,  went to secondary school in Somerford actually. We also lived in Highcliffe and Bournemouth so I know that area quite well.

Al

No one near me :(
Our plot is at Christchurch in Dorset,

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2005, 13:17:01 »
TimJ Been to stoney cove many times, great fun diving the various things in there.

Andy H

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2005, 18:18:08 »
My new lottie is in Harlow, Essex.   ;D

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2005, 18:38:28 »
Hi Bun,

We live just down the road, near Ware and am still waiting for news from the council for an allotment.

I have a tiny garden but would love to grow veggies this year, hence the need for a lotty !  I did not think there were any lotties near Harlow !?

Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2005, 21:48:33 »
hi, another newbie here! We have just got our first lottie. We are in Ilminster, in Somerset. There are 50 allotments in various conditions. No water on sight, and a long walkuphill to carry anything as we don,t have a shed. Lovely sight, south facing, just right for long summer evenings with the odd bottle! At the moment the plot is covered with an old silage sheet and we are digging it over bit by bit!

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2005, 22:19:03 »
Welcome Cookie, sad about the water and the walk up hill but the view sounds great! :D
At least when you have had enough it is downhill home ;)

highgenie

« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2005, 10:10:50 »
My allotment is in Stanton Under Bardon, Leicestershire.
Janet

frannie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2005, 15:04:22 »
hi bun - we used to live in harlow until we moved to weymouth 7 years ago, and yes marianne there are allotments.  hard to get though, if i remember! you anywhere near staple tye - i used to live in woodcrof.  and hi nattyem and fosteri - hope you're enjoying good weather.  my lottie is at the barclay road site council run and very not looked after at all - do you know if there are any kind of allotment associations or anything in weymouth - tried the council and the library, but no luck!  nattyem - did you play recorder at brewers quay christmas time - i think i had an e-mail from a nattyem???

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal