Author Topic: Ornamental seed saving circle 2016  (Read 93254 times)

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: Ornamental seed saving circle 2016
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2017, 12:20:13 »
Thank you markfield rover for doing the honours. :icon_cheers:  :happy7:  :wave:

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2017, 13:15:35 »
You are welcome , now all we need is some sunshine, meanwhile I'll make do with reading Higgledy Garden website , if you do not already know it ,it certainly worth a peep.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2017, 16:38:14 »
Thank you mark field rover, you did us proud! I've just been to buy compost yippee! X sunloving

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2017, 17:00:35 »
You are welcome, I've been for compost too, I think we are onto a winning bouquet !

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2017, 17:43:46 »
I've been googleing bat face flowers and Russian tarragon, and Chilean glory vine!
How interesting!
Might have to dig some new beds! X sunloving

ed dibbles

• Hectare
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2017, 22:47:42 »
All the seeds I sent can be sown inside for planting out later apart from Eschscholzia lobbii that should be sown direct in april in a sunny position. "sundew" is the pale yellow form and it may self sow if you are lucky  (mine has) or save the easy to collect seeds if you like it.

The tall French marigolds are great (around 24inches) mixed in beds or with other annuals, so much nicer than the dumpy little things you usually see. The bees think they are great too.

A little tip for sowing french marigolds I found out about last year is that when sowing push the black part of the seed vertically, or almost so, into the compost leaving the white part sticking out. In a warm place germination can begin in three days. :icon_cheers:

The eccremocarpus is supposed to be rather tender but a lot more hardy that you may think from reading the gardening literature. I have one attached to an allotment shed on a rather exposed windy site that has survived this cold weather without problem.

Roll on summer. :happy7:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 22:49:26 by ed dibbles »

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2017, 09:27:33 »
My hints are
 Cerinthe takes three weeks to germinate but produces a large seedling so don't chuck them out before they are due, has purple and gray foliage goes well planted among othe things like nigella, calendula and is a brilliant cut flower long lasting perfect with sweet peas and cornflowers.

Pink mix antirhynums half hardy and very small as seedlings sow thinly in march , prick out using end of a spoon like you would lobelia. Produce a foot square plant that can often survive the winter , great cut flowers.

Blue boy cornflowers hardy good sized seedling. Plant grow to 3ft bush. A bit floppy so grow close together or string. Great long lasting cut flower perfect with sweet peas. As with hardy geraniums cut whole plant back after first flush and it will flower to frosts. Great under rose bushes.
:) x sunloving
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:29:04 by sunloving »

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2017, 17:09:30 »
Well, what can I say about mine...? As they were shop-bought  from end of last season (Aug. '16) you lot and myself are going to be first-time growers with my seeds. So, please don't shoot me if they don't all germinate. I shall be checking on germination tips as an extra for those I've not grown before. Hope you were pleased with my choices.

I'm pleased with everyone's seeds, so thanking you all for your generosity and kindness :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :blob7: :blob7: :wave: :wave: :wave: :angel11: :angel11:. I am looking forward to getting them started, but I know it's way too early to be thinking of that, isn't it..?! I'm thinking of sowing tomatoes and chillis soon though... What are you lot doing in the next week or two?

Just realised, I can sow the sweet pea, matucana for early spring planting....!! :blob7: :blob7: (not had much luck with sweet peas in my slug/snail haven for a garden and zillion of pots, so fingers crossed!)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 17:48:33 by irridium »

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2017, 17:35:22 »
Ive yet to look at the seeds , surprises still in store! But I will and get back. Cheers all.

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2017, 04:27:17 »
I sowed the matucana and other sweet peas today, along with some honesty and mountain toms. Hooray the season has begun! X sunloving

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2017, 09:42:48 »
Matucana have germinated! Lovely to see the first green shoots of the season!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2017, 12:52:24 »
 Sunloving are the sweet peas in a heated propagator ?

ed dibbles

• Hectare
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2017, 18:30:39 »
The matucana are a good purple/red colour and the thing I like about them is that they bear flowers from the top to the bottom of the plant rather than just the top like modern varieties making them of more use for garden decoration .

Smaller flowers than the hybrids but the scent is strong and incredibly sweet. You certainly don't have to get your nose in close to smell them. :happy7:

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2017, 19:45:36 »
Hi All,

I've just sown Ed Dibbles' matucana too in my heated propagator yesterday, so here's hoping to a quick germination like Sunloving has had. I've also done some new chillis (Numex Twilight and 2 unknowns and 3 toms (Cherry Falls F1, Cherrola and Super Sweet 100), verbena bonariensis, cosmos, viola Black Jack and Antique Shades  and some others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

It's all happening now... what with the lovely weather we've had together; spring is a-coming!! :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2017, 20:38:30 »
Yes in a heated propagator. It's the first thing I do each morning propagator check , wee, cuppa.
They do have amazing scent ed just a short stem lovely colour to :)
Hooray it's begun! X sunloving

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2017, 09:19:54 »
Thanks for that Sunloving , I'll be firing them up later. So keen am I to get started I am growing the tops of carrots ,the flowers look just like  ammi .

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2017, 09:50:23 »
Mark field that's an interesting tip , leeks make wonderful Pom Pom flowers to. And veg varieties have great inbred vigour to them.
I hate white flowers though and so have a rejects bed for all the white that appears in flower mixes! This is why I've been making colour mixes So there's no more white!
I'm sure more tasteful people can use them but I love garish bright colours! , x sunloving

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2017, 10:15:56 »
That's why I love dahlias, so brash so brilliant and so easy from seed!

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2017, 19:32:24 »
The verbascum are up ! Were these a particular colour? Fingers crossed!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2017, 08:29:25 »
Marigolds and sweet peas up in 3 days! Bat face seeds sown if I get it right I think they will be lovely plants to share, coffee break this afternoon will see some more lovelies tucked up.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal