Author Topic: Feast & Famine  (Read 1538 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Feast & Famine
« on: March 06, 2024, 16:13:59 »
Thought I would show you how this global warming is creating a "Feast & Famine" situation in my garden.

I have started with a photo I took in March, around 10 years ago, and what the garden has developed into now. I would say the deterioration has escalated in the last five years or so, i.e. since the freezing winters have disappeared.(and no I have not purposely neglected it, far from it!)

The best looking beds are in the brightest coldest parts of my garden.

Looks like it is back to the drawing board for me this year. :BangHead:

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
Re: Feast & Famine
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 06:20:52 »
Interesting, Tee Gee. What are your thoughts about what changes you might make?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Feast & Famine
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 15:47:53 »
Well I haven't decided yet but as can be seen in the cold greenhouse I have numerous plants I can put in, most of them are perennial, so I guess I will be finding somewhere to put these.

I haven't decided what I want to do with my herbaceous border (under the fruit trees) I am toying with the idea of trying to make it as maintenance free as possible. I have also to keep in mind leaving access to the fruit trees for harvesting purposes. My thoughts are clumps of Lilies, Dahlias, Iris and Chrysanthemums, with a frontage of a few biennials I have on the go.

Then I have got to think of in terms of vegetables in the bed behind my heather bed. I have a few Onions, and Garlic on the go. Then as normal I will grow my carrots & salad crops in the cold frames once they are emptied of hardening off plants.

I might grow some Beetroot as a contrasting colour in my flower borders.

So really I only have a bit of a planting plan, so only time will tell.

Weather permitting, I will hopefully get a good display of colour, some of which will be edible.

Then of course my cold greenhouse will be filled with Tomatoes, Sweet Peppers, Chillis & Cucumber.

My fruit collection will be Apples, Pears, Plums, Gooseberries, Raspberries, Strawberries & Rhubarb.

So I have the stock, the rest is up to Mother Nature.

I hope that answers your question Tg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal