Author Topic: Polltunnel - Gone with the wind  (Read 5100 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Polltunnel - Gone with the wind
« on: March 28, 2016, 09:36:38 »
Cover blown off my little poly last night so all my seedlings are gone.  Got the feeling that this is going to be one of those seasons - not much going right do far.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Polltunnel - Gone with the wind
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 09:44:45 »
Bugger! still not too late to start again. Here's me moaning that a seed tray tipped up when the greenhouse shuddered.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 10:49:31 »
Rotten luck, feel for you B'Nick
Deep breath and get sowing again :wave:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 10:56:52 »
It may not be as bad as it looked - bought a few seed trays in, firmed them up and repotted some and they may yet survive.  Some are perking up already so I'll see how they go today.  I may not know which tom is what variety but at least I'll have something!   
Of course one member on here has already offered some replacements - I do love this place!

Thanks all!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 11:50:09 »
wind is still very strong here aint ventured down the plot yet might go this afternoon once the wind subsides hope you can recover the tunnel ok
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 21:57:06 »
That's annoying, hope that you can get new cover on without to much torment and get back on the spring train. Late things will catch up eventually. Good luck.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 22:25:07 »
Glad some are perking up and it isn't a total loss.  Still a rotten, unfortunate thing to happen.   :BangHead:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 02:31:29 »
That is awful, good luck with the saved ones. I think plants really do try their best to grow.   
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 07:39:33 »
Thanks everyone - I got the cover back and taped it up a bit and put it back on  - don't suppose it will last long but it is better than nothing.  Most plants are looking ok this morning with not so many losses as I though- I wouldn't have believed they would perk up like that yesterday morning.  Of course I have several messages from the wonderful folk on here offering to send me plants! So kind of you to do that and makes me feel chuffed to be part of this place! 

Cheers!!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 17:36:04 »
If you're making or repairing a polytunnel it's very important to make sure any openings in one end (or side) are mirrored by openings in the other (or can be by opening vents).

Otherwise the wind 'sees' it as an open bag rather than a smooth but leaky object and the 'drag' on the cover multiplies dramatically - after all this is how the cups on a windspeed gauge work.

Allowing the wind in to inflate the cover without any way out can also burst the cover.

Obviously you should be doubly careful about the main prevailing wind directions on your plot

Cheers
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal