Author Topic: Can you get your minds in the Gutter.....ideas welcome  (Read 3731 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Can you get your minds in the Gutter.....ideas welcome
« on: March 26, 2016, 20:01:23 »
Hi

I'm not sure what model my old Eden greenhouse is and can't quite see a gutter kit that looks like it will fit....any of you had experience with a frame like this?

Thanks

Ps I have washed it since this :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 20:09:08 by Hector »
Jackie

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: Can you get your minds in the Gutter.....ideas welcome
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 21:51:19 »
Gosh looks like a challenge. Don't know really but can you drill holes and attach a wooden baton ?

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 09:48:42 »
I'm going to have a play today and think out the box....think I'm not going to get an off the shelf solution :)
Jackie

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 10:06:03 »
From what I can see, it is a case of drilling the top rail/ channel and fitting gutter brackets with self tapping screws.

An alternative might be to screw a piece of timber to that rail then fix the brackets to this.

Then in both cases you will have to fix some sort of flashing under the glass to channel the water from the glass into the guttering, otherwise the water will just drop between the rail and the guttering.

I would probably use some 4" or 6" damp course from a builders merchants.

I hope that makes sense!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 11:14:39 »
Thanks Teegee's. That sounds a plan. It seems a waste not to gather it, especially as where it is sited is already a damp bed...so preventing some water hitting it would be an added bonus......plus adding vast quantities of manure.
Jackie

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 14:22:08 »
Some aluminium extrusions might work - you could buy a U shape (almost as expensive as buying a kit) but quite a lot of the shapes used to frame 70s/80s secondary glazing (your local skip) include a U shape - and sometimes the rest of the cross-section provides an ideal bracket. I'm thinking of lazy-S or 2 shapes but there are others. The ones used as architraves for Alu doors and windows are bigger and more complex shapes - may be better. I make a habit of collecting this sort of stuff (it doesn't turn up every day or even every month). It's a sin to send it to landfill and it makes great stakes and beanpoles on the plot.

Cheers
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 09:48:09 »
Don't stick anything to the glass, heat expansion can vary between different materials and the glass cracks. Ask me how I know.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 18:56:55 »
Don't stick anything to the glass, heat expansion can vary between different materials and the glass cracks. Ask me how I know.

I'm sure there are lots of methods out there that would end in the failure you describe - the identical effect means glueing ceramic veneers to real teeth is a lousy idea that a lot of smart people thought was a good one - until they tried it.

Have you tried using silicone sealant in a 2mm or so layer? It's OK to include something like cocktail- or match-stick spacers in the gap to ensure the layer is thick enough to absorb expansion.

You might prefer to have 'grab', but unfortunately I can't suggest (off-hand) any contact adhesive that would stick a metal surface to a thin foam plastic and from that to glass.

For a quick and dirty fix,  brown parcel tape is surprisingly waterproof on a smooth surface and though it only lasts a few months in the sun, it doesn't leave a nasty sticky mess behind like the clear repair tape they sell for greenhouses (which only lasts a year or so anyway).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal