Author Topic: The Kale Place.. a spot to share about the phenominal types of kale!!  (Read 10186 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
HI Galina, now I feel like a real twerp. I should have thought of that. The flowers ARE  white. I have this one on my list at the beginning of this topic and I have grown it several times, but although it is called a Kale I always think of it as a loose leaved cabbage, well it is kind of in between the two I guess. It is one I am growing this year as well as it only grows to about 2 feet. If that is what you have I seem to think it is a bluish color with thick white ribs and has a definite cabbage smell, although it is not supposed to smell like cabbage when cooking,, or after if you see what I mean!!  AKA Tronchuda.

Well done Detective Galina.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
I've bought myself a single Taunton Deane plant on the strength of this thread, does anyone know if it's possible to propagate it, and if so, how?
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

penedesenca

• Half Acre
I've bought myself a single Taunton Deane plant on the strength of this thread, does anyone know if it's possible to propagate it, and if so, how?

Break a branch off and plonk it in soil. It will root easily even in winter (well mine does) Depending on the size of cutting it can take between 2 weeks to 2 months to root.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Small cuttings from new growth seem to root better, and are a lot cheaper to send through the post. But yes, you can break a branch off and plant it - bury it almost completely, with only a few leaves emerging at the tip (I break the other leaves off) and it will root, even over winter.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Robin, I have very good success rate on the bench in the conservatory, not so much just pushed into the soil in the garden.  Goodlife's advise was to root them into individual pots and keep them in the shade underneath the greenhouse bench and as cool as possible as well.

I can root them, but don't find it as easy as has been said.  I planted one out a few days ago that was rooted nicely and 'something' ate it right down to stumps.  Another couple of shoots that I pushed into the ground about a month ago looked fine at first, but the cold nights killed them.  If you take several new shoots and root them different ways you should be successful. 

Also do the propagating as soon as possible.  My first attempt at Daubentons failed, because the plants were not big enough to get through winter.  Goodlife had to bail me out again and I protected the kales over their first winter.  Now they are as tough as old boots.  Last year's cuttings just worked, pushed into the ground and sailed through winter, really not sure why it was so difficult to start with.  If you take several cuttings and they all root, there will be takers, that's for sure.    Good luck  :wave:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Good point; I've had cuttings taken late in the year fail over winter as well. It's probably best all round to take them in the spring as soon as the plants start growing. I'm still waiting!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal