Author Topic: 31  (Read 6727 times)

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
Re: 31
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2005, 21:04:36 »
right-you ready for this???????

i

have

got

gardeners delight!

THERE!
jealous huh?
hahaha!one whole variety!

i will be over run with ...

about 6 plants i think! ;D

next year-you watch out ej-i shall expand to...2 varieties!

there moggle-feel better? ;D ;D ;D
kitty
x
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2005, 21:15:52 »
 8) yo kitty snap! i've only got gardeners delight too - I might swop a few later though. Works out cheaper dunnit!  ;)

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2005, 22:24:04 »
i should say!
i can do things with my one variety that'd make you blink!

i think i'd be just stood in front of the stove with a puzzled frown if i had as many as ej! ;)

go on eej...tell us.do you freeze a lot?-my dad used to bottle his toms but sadly,he didn't tell me how and its a bit too late to ask now..... :(
my ma in law has a great recipe for tomato sauce...and i use the cranks recipe for soup-yum!

mutter.....mutter.must dig out the sauce recipe...... ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2005, 22:47:39 »
Weeeeeeeeeeell, last year I made loads of lovely tom sauces and roasted loads and made some ketchup and of course, ate loads fresh and sweet.  Got blight on the plot last year to over half my plants were wiped out.  Am hoping to beat the blight this year.  If I manage it, I think I will be very popular at school giving away bags of toms! ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2005, 22:55:23 »
Your and your children and their school mates and mums will be orange!  Mark my words.  With all those toms and carrots it's a dead cert.  Did you ever hear about the woman that ate too much tomato soup?  Her skin turned orange.  Honestly!  It was in the papers and everything  ;D

Bet that's what happened to Kilroy  ;)
I came, I saw, I composted

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2005, 07:02:19 »
I grew Gardeners delight last year for the second year in succession and those outside did get blight...not to be daunted I shall try them again this year...what precautions will you be taking against blight EJ?

I have also decided to push the boat out/ splash the dosh and go for a second variety..I chose Ferline simply because of the blight problem.

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2005, 09:31:18 »

next year-you watch out ej-i shall expand to...2 varieties!

there moggle-feel better? ;D ;D ;D

Yes I feel better now  :D
Especially as 2 of my roma toms (thanks Aqui!) had germinated this morning  ;D

I too am growing G delight this year, but haven't sowed any seeds yet, will give them a few weeks.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2005, 13:31:58 »
Just wanted to point out in a small voice, these aren't all seeds that I have purchased.  95% of them have been generously given to me as swaps and gifts....and I just get so carried away, you see I watch UK gardens on telly whilst I am pottering, and before I know it, the lounge carpet is thick with mud, and I have sowed 31 varieties of toms!!!

To try and help reduce the blight problem I have bought some bordeaux mix which I will spray every visit early in the morning before the sun gets on them.  Also I plant to grow them under a corrigated plastic roof, preventing rain falling onto the plants and hopefully reducing humidy.  I shall also remove as much foliage as poss, without removing tooooo much, again to help air flow.  Then, I shall pray to Mother Nature and ask her to be kind!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2005, 13:40:36 »
EJ - is the Bordeaux stuff organic?
gone to pot :D

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2005, 16:12:41 »
ej you are a legend!
are yuo gonna keep a photo diary of them so we can see??? xxx
jemma

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2005, 18:31:54 »
I just dont know how you can keep track of so many varieties. I have trouble manging the different varieties that i grow. And before you say 'why go to the trouble?' I grow different types as well as varieties. I think it is important to know whats supposed to be a cherry tomato, what supposed to be a bush or an indeterminate or whats a tumbler type.

This year i have 4 varieties, all different types.; Gardeners delight (cherry), Shirley ( medium sized), Sub arctic plenty (bush) and a tumbler/patio type new this year that i cant pronounce let alone spell!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2005, 22:22:37 »
It is Aqui...just about.....

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2005, 17:40:40 »
31-varieties?-umm on the one hand the Cat says "good for you" on the other I have just got back from a place where you lay in a darkened room,soothing music plays and one`s head is massaged-the worry of just where to put everythings fades away---------------- ;D

Stephan

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2005, 11:08:55 »
7 varietires for me. i've sown 50 hoping to have 25 plants down the lottie. you can never have too many tomatoes!! which is lucky really as i'm very bad at culling seedilings!

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2005, 12:19:32 »
about the Bordeaux mixture:
Control of potato or tomato blight traditionally relies on copper-based fungicides such as Bordeaux misture ( consisting of 2 chemicals, copper sulphate and calcium oxide). However, copper is potentially toxic and is banned from food prouce labelled as organically grown >:( >:(

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2005, 20:39:17 »
The HDRA which produces Organic Guidelines for amateur gardeners in the UK gives the use of Bordeaux mixture "Qualified acceptance ".

This translates as "materials and practices not suitable for regular use in an Organic garden. They are included to help those moving towards an Organic regime and to deal with particular problems"

Or as EJ more succintly put it  "just about"

Phil

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2005, 20:44:29 »
Growing 3 varieties of toms - Zuckertraube (think there should be an umlaut somewhere), Gardeners' Delight, and a Heritage Seed Library variety - Auntie Madge's.
However, I have more than 31? Potato varieties - less than last year, felt quite restrained at potato day this year!
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal