Author Topic: Parnips, what variety  (Read 2446 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Parnips, what variety
« on: March 22, 2016, 00:29:45 »
 I am curious as to what variety of parnips you all prefer and why. Over here the choice is very limited and the seed packets say plant till end of July so I generally have them sent over. I will be way behind if I don't hurry up and there seems to be some newer ones..

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Parnips, what variety
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 07:51:31 »
While overall I'm not a fan of F1's the new parsnips like Gladiator, Lancer and so on are very good. Not too large for the pair of us to use at a meal...  :wave:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:29:35 »
Laughing here now, after I put the post on  I nipped over to the garden centre to see what they had and I bought 1 packet of Gladiator..would'nt you just know eh!!
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 09:07:01 »
Top buy Jeannine  :happy7:

Another Gladiator fan here, they are my favourite.  I find it has great canker resistance and does very well in our normally wet heavy winter ground and equally well in semi raised beds. Taste is great, I've just pulled the last of the bed as they were starting to sprout, made soup and par boiled a big bag for roasties. I like them so much I've been growing Gladiator offspring for a few years, selecting from the best for seed. last year I grew a bed half and half (saved seed and Gladiator), very pleased with the results.

Javelin F1 is another very good and similar type.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 16:43:15 »
yes i like gladiator but for flavour i love hollow crown its an old variety however gladiator has great disease resistance so i sow both just incase of a bad year hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 17:25:40 »
I have set a row of pre chitted Javelin this morning. I have pelleted Gladiator to set at the other end of the allotment. I read with interest an article regarding the timing of setting parsnips. The author suggest that seed companies should be shot for advising gardeners  to set parsnips from March as he believes that they will only germinate when the weather is warmer in late April/May. He advocates that this late setting reduces the chances Canker which is my main problem. I chose the above varieties because they are less prone to the disease  but to try his opinion I will not set my Javelin until late April or even early May. I hasten to add that the row that I have set this morning has been covered in thick plastic banners for the last month to try and warm the soil up a bit.

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 17:57:35 »
I also use Gladiator because they have always been fine but I might also try another variety this year
Barnsley S Yorks

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 22:38:03 »
Thank you all.

Plot 22, that was a very interesting answer and makes one think as they are definitely toted as for being  planted later here.  It is also a point that Javelin is one that is suggested for tubs as it is smaller.

My neighbor always sows his parsnips in late April and he gets small parsnips like finger carrots while mine are big but I have never tempted him to change his sowing date.

I see some old heirloom ones on the net and often wonder about those, but for this year it is going to be Gladiator.  thank you

XX Jeannine

rollingrock

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 06:14:18 »
Hollow Crown Parsnip and Harris Model seem to be only varieties they seem to sell around here.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal