Author Topic: Chicken House  (Read 1634 times)

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Chicken House
« on: March 27, 2005, 11:25:59 »
Happy Easter Everyone,

I want to build a chicken  house for 4 / 6 Bantom chickens.

I have had a look around but they seem so expensive for the bit of wood and mesh involved.

Can any of you guys suggest a reasonably priced supplier or let me have any shed plans so I can Have a go at making my own.

I am willing to pay for any plans if required.

Regards

Alan

If you have plans to send contact me and I will give you my address.
As One Door Closes, Anther One Slams In Your Face.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re: Chicken House
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 12:07:47 »
If you do some research on Google you will find lots of information about how much space you need to provide for each bird and also perching space and height of perches, ventilation etc.

My husband built our henhouse (see picture attached) from bits of scrap wood. No plan was used, we simply built a box type shape with a roof and legs and a ladder for access. There is a small pop hole door which sits inside a much larger door at the front, the larger door comes off completely so makes cleaning very easy. A nest box "extension" with hinged lid was attached to one side of the box. The whole thing was then clad with wood.

If you have foxes about during the day time you need to consider a run as well. Our hen house is surrounded with a picket fence so that the hens don't destroy our garden. The fence was 4ft high but they jumped over (even with wings clipped) so it now has a trellis on the top making it 5ft.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 12:10:17 by Jesseveve »
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Chicken House
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 12:43:31 »
Happy easter to you,
We recycled our old 6x4 shed and built a run on to it with chicken wire with some posts sunk into the ground works fine OH built nest boxes inside on stilts open frount and flat roof on them. and a post that went from one corner to other corner for them to roost. But they roost on top of the nest boxes. Oh well they know better they sit and look out of the window at next doors garden while going to sleep.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal