Author Topic: Final pot size  (Read 6250 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Final pot size
« on: March 20, 2016, 17:13:11 »
I'm getting a bit confused regards pot sizes for chillis.

Someo folk say make the plant think it is in trouble/ produce more fruit by keeping in small pots....others say go big pot.

I have some smaller varieties that only get 14 inches high by 14 inch spread....I could utilise my top greenhouse staging if they are in pots about 17cm tall.....but people mention using 10l pots....which are too big.

I don't want to starve them, so will be looking at squat but wider containers I can drill or potentially smaller pots....

What's tippy our experience with smaller variety pot requirements and yields?

I'm putting bigger ones in the 10 litre Asda/Morrison ex-flower pots
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Final pot size
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 22:37:20 »
I grow mine in 5 gallon buckets and I get very healthy plants, great yields and sometimes they will over winter
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 19:38:38 »
I always use the flower buckets from morrisons. I think the yield depends on the variety,weather,pollination and of course how we treat them ie watering, fertiliser.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 11:12:48 »
Thanks Clumsy. I use those pots too. It's just that I'm thinking of growing some on staging, so only have 15 inches of clearance for the plant ( not counting pot height) I'm trying Apache for there.
Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 11:22:13 »
i always restrict my chilli and pepper plants and with my chillis i always stress the plant before i harvest either by letting them dry out or flooding them with water i find the flavour improves  however i feed them regularly with my own feed comfry and pigeon poo  tea  im not sure of the pot size i think its around 2 ltr ill let you know when i finally pot them up hope this helps   for  peppers i normally get around a dozen full sized peppers per plant and chillis a carrier bag full each plant
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 11:32:35 »
Johhny20, thanks for that. Any of the patio/ dwarf ones any good for cooking?
Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 12:25:33 »
Johhny20, thanks for that. Any of the patio/ dwarf ones any good for cooking?
the snacking types are good as you can leave them whole bulls horn are good for stuffing you can control any growth by nipping out shoots when they get the height you want they just bush out so give them a little more room on the bench hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 19:36:17 »
Thank you.
We really love Mexican food, so trying Pasilla this time round ( tall) and Super chilli and Apache ( small)
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal