Author Topic: effacy of capillary matting  (Read 3043 times)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
effacy of capillary matting
« on: March 12, 2016, 18:02:14 »
Tried to grow tomatoes the self watering style last year.  They were okay I suppose but not as good as the ones I grew in the bottomless buckets.  Due to being a tight wad, I had used strips of old T shirts, cotton blouses etc.  I wondered how efficient strips of capillary matting would be in transporting water to the plant and how wide would the strips be best.  Also where would the best place be to buy it  (hate paying postage).  Thanking you for advice in advance.
May

Hector

• Hectare
Re: effacy of capillary matting
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 18:36:55 »
Lot tie Lou, I was literally rooting out old tee shirts to try what you did last year, so will be very interested in replies.

I've made slits at bottom of pots ( with soldering iron) to thread through a capillary wick
Jackie

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 13:59:45 »
My recent post in 'grow bag waterer' covers my experience with capillary strips

Cheers
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 19:59:13 »
I find that it works very well. About 15" wide and I lead one end into a deep bowl of water if I am away for a few days.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal