Author Topic: Growing under greenhouse staging  (Read 3846 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Growing under greenhouse staging
« on: March 12, 2016, 09:57:43 »
I have an area under staging where I'd like to grow something throughout the season. I will have small chilli plants on grow bag trays above it once season kicks in. One part also has my ancient propagator on it.

Would anything do well in this situation.Ive added a bad photo of dog helping us clear the area. It's under staging on right, direct into soil

Ps do folk ever grow OCA throughout season under glass?

Jackie

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Growing under greenhouse staging
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 10:32:19 »
I grow trailers like melons and cucumbers on the bottom of my greenhouse staging, otherwise it ends up being used as a dumping ground!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 13:08:20 »
Debs..I had thought I'd only get away with semi shade tolerant stuff or lettuce....your post is exciting as I Think it could work for me even with the grow bag trays above as its a really bright/well lit grow house :)

Jackie

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 16:34:54 »
I turn the metal trays over on the lower tier and fill them with damp gravel: they seem to like the space ok..
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 18:38:34 »
Just checking I haven't got wrong end of stick. Are your crops planted into the soil below the staging then grown up and across staging?

Or are the pots on gravel on the staging itself...I tend to get wrong end of stick...so making sure ;)
Jackie

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 10:33:33 »
Big shallow pots on gravel, I've also laid growbags on their sides to get more depth with success too. As they grow I just train some vertically up canes up to the roof space, and let others wander over the floor and get wound around the staging legs...

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 12:02:51 »
Aha, I'm with you :)

I was thinking about what could cope being grown in the soil under the overhanging staging crops....but thanks for that. I'd only thought of compact chillis actually on the staging...that's another idea. I've never grown a melon.
Jackie

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 17:29:46 »
Can I ask the same question again....I have a poly with a kin that bounces light...Im  wondering if I can get away with growing courgettes in soil under staging?

If not...any ideas of crops that could grow there?
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal