Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2016?  (Read 122385 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2016?
« Reply #380 on: April 20, 2017, 06:47:52 »

I know everyone says to cut out flower stalks, but I'm wondering whether it's worth saving the seeds?

Glad it has rallied and giving you some good stems this year.  I once left mine to flower and seed just to see.  This must be why in my clump I now have the standard fat red stemmed plants and a few that are green stemmed by the side of it.  However the green stems are thinner and generally not as lush.  I can't remember what my original variety was, as I bought it in 1980 and it lingered on as a weak plant in 3 locations before it took off when we moved here ten years later, but the seedling plants are not as good for me.  The flowers are impressive, but I now cut them before they seed.  :wave:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #381 on: April 20, 2017, 17:15:53 »
I suspect mine's been here over 30 years, certainly much longer than we have. It's green with a pink blush, not one of the bright red types, but it tastes just fine!

I might leave the flower just to have the experience, and see if I can germinate some of the seeds just for fun.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #382 on: April 25, 2017, 09:05:16 »
Also, I am curious about Mrs Lei  I managed to find it on the German (or was it Dutch) seed website and now they have another Mrs something with pink flowers.  Lei, is a Chinese name and although it was a while ago I think the new pink is too.  Do you know the origin of these?

Mrs Lei was from a Dutch website, originally from seeds bought by Jayb, who shared seeds with us.  They have very attractive pale pink flowers and mangetout pods with up to 9 seeds.  Also a heavy bearer.  Both have very unusual flowers, real front garden stuff.  :wave:

Thanks Galina

I'd noticed the name change/different variety. I think about the only way to know would be to grow them alongside each other, but then again they might be too similar to call it?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #383 on: May 05, 2017, 12:36:04 »
In some ways the circle has come full circle ... This morning we welcomed a group of Syrian refugees to the plots and amongst the seeds on offer I added the Syrian black broad beans from galina .

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #384 on: May 18, 2017, 11:52:37 »
Hi everyone , just wanted to tell you how great the seeds have done my poly tunnel is filled with new peppers and chillies, tomatillos and tomatoes. I've got lovely purple flowers on the peas and gorgeous purple pods on the Lancashire lad and beans really powering away up strings and poles.
It's thrilling to be growing such a fascinating array of varieties already eating the two lettuces!
How are you doing with yours?
X sunlovinf

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #385 on: May 29, 2017, 11:53:11 »
The crimson broad beans are lovely, and aren't as hit by blackfly as the white flowered ones next to them. :D

I was wondering about the Sugar Magnolia - are the pods always purple? I have a few green ones popping up. I'll exclude them from the seed collecting if that's not normal. They are growing a treat though!

I have some Sugar Lord going too this year, also for seed collecting and from this seed circle - thanks so much! :D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #386 on: May 29, 2017, 13:03:31 »
Sugar Magnolia are one of the better purples (more colour stable).  But as the photo shows green ones or part green ones happen.  I am taking seeds from the darkest and did so last year for the seed circle.  One of the 3 genes that make up the purple colour in peas has a high rate of mutation to a 'lesser' purple.  More green than purple or splotchy.  If you are seeing the sort of colour differences like in the attached photo Sparrow, then I am afraid it is part and parcel of Sugar Magnolia.

Of course it is not beyond me to have had an accidental seed mix-up either, despite trying to be careful, but any wrong plants would not produce thick-walled snap peas.  If you do have greenish snap peas, then the above 'bleaching' has happened.  And saving seeds from the darkest pods is all any of us can do.  Is anybody else growing Sugar Magnolia this year?  :wave:

I was wondering about the Sugar Magnolia - are the pods always purple? I have a few green ones popping up. I'll exclude them from the seed collecting if that's not normal. They are growing a treat though!

I have some Sugar Lord going too this year, also for seed collecting and from this seed circle - thanks so much! :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 13:27:25 by galina »

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #387 on: May 29, 2017, 14:29:33 »
Sugar Magnolia are one of the better purples (more colour stable).  But as the photo shows green ones or part green ones happen.  I am taking seeds from the darkest and did so last year for the seed circle.  One of the 3 genes that make up the purple colour in peas has a high rate of mutation to a 'lesser' purple.  More green than purple or splotchy.  If you are seeing the sort of colour differences like in the attached photo Sparrow, then I am afraid it is part and parcel of Sugar Magnolia.

Of course it is not beyond me to have had an accidental seed mix-up either, despite trying to be careful, but any wrong plants would not produce thick-walled snap peas.  If you do have greenish snap peas, then the above 'bleaching' has happened.  And saving seeds from the darkest pods is all any of us can do.  Is anybody else growing Sugar Magnolia this year?  :wave:

I didn't know about the genes making purple, that's very interesting. I would very much doubt you've mixed the seeds, but I wondered whether the colour was totally guaranteed. I'll collect from the darkest pods this year.

Thanks galina, that's really helpful.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #388 on: May 29, 2017, 15:44:15 »
Purple pods are tricky things!

I'm growing Sugar Magnolia too but I'm only at the first bud stage.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #389 on: May 29, 2017, 16:34:38 »
I have one pod so far, fully purple but not fat yet.   :wave:

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #390 on: May 31, 2017, 18:51:24 »
I am but they got dreid out and are just recovering. Have you seen the size of the pods on robinsons peas what whoopers! Were they from the swap?  If not I might put them in next years.
Happy happy with such interesting things thriving. The parsnips had brilliant germination and have really powered away. So much better than bought seed! X sunloving

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #391 on: May 31, 2017, 21:55:18 »
I am but they got dreid out and are just recovering. Have you seen the size of the pods on robinsons peas what whoopers! Were they from the swap?  If not I might put them in next years.
Happy happy with such interesting things thriving. The parsnips had brilliant germination and have really powered away. So much better than bought seed! X sunloving

Yes Robinsons is an exhibition variety.  They are huge.  I put them into the seed circle in 2015, but they are also commercially available. 

Would be interested in how your Sugar Magnolia doing, when they recover  Likewise very happy with all our joint seed treasures here.   :wave:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 22:21:27 by galina »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #392 on: June 02, 2017, 11:32:29 »
Were they from the swap?  If not I might put them in next years.
 X sunloving

Sorry Sunloving, I should have said that although they were already in the seed swap, there is absolutely no reason not to put them in again.  People in the circle change every year and it is good to get fresh seeds too for those who got them already.

:wave:

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #393 on: June 02, 2017, 14:45:01 »
Ok lovely, :) I think it's going to be a good year for seeds this year, fingers crossed!!

Those gazzyyellow egg toms have set loads of fruit already! Think they might beat sun gold this year for me as the first to be ripe! Can't wait.
X sunloving

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #394 on: June 02, 2017, 18:47:19 »
 :blob7: oh wow , this morning I tried the first magnolia tendril pea pod  :icon_cheers: woo it's the best pea ever!! How yummy and so great to eat the whole crunchy sweet thing. Needless to say I turned back and gobbled as many as I could see. Don't know how there will ever be any left to save for next year. They will never make it to the house. And how can they be good for you as well!! Brilliant !! X love the seed swap!my first ever  X sunloving

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #395 on: June 23, 2017, 09:27:18 »
I'm so glad you like them! Mice found mine and I'm not sure whether I can get a second sowing going now.

They are just about my favourite thing - though galina's purple strain of the same pea line comes a close second!

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #396 on: July 07, 2017, 07:33:57 »
Well so far the seed swaps have been really interesting, loved the Llangollen peas they were fat and sweet and now the purple French bean is just doing brilliant have them and the yellow Georgian every meal lately! The black prince and gazzyyellow yellow egg toms have done amazingly and have five trusses set and the gazzyyellow are colouring up nicely! The Macedonian peppers are very long and banana peppers looking curious, pretty in purple and the other purple also going great guns. Parsnips and lettuce also looking amazing! I'm very happy and looking forwards to tasting all these new things. As a side note the ornamental seed swap also bringing new colours and ideas to the flower beds. I've really enjoyed growing all these new things.. It was like a Christmas present that just keeps giving. Fingers crossed the blight stays away just a few weeks longer! Xx sunloving

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #397 on: August 11, 2017, 12:28:27 »
Wow just wanted to comment on the stripes of yore toms , what an amazing array of colours from black to yellow and they taste great to. One of my new favourites. Thankyou

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal