Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2016?  (Read 122482 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2016?
« Reply #220 on: October 24, 2016, 10:30:37 »
Do we want a before or after Christmas parcel?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #221 on: October 24, 2016, 20:14:36 »
After would be better for me - less kerfuffle!

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #222 on: October 25, 2016, 08:06:31 »
I agree with sparrow after would be better.

pumkinlover

« Reply #223 on: October 25, 2016, 08:24:57 »
I have bagged up Black Prince tomatoes seed, and also have some excellent autumn planting garlic from Goodlife which I have been replanting for about 4 years now. Will they be ok if we go for after Christmas?

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #224 on: October 26, 2016, 15:08:51 »
I will say after christmas.We have time enough and i have than more to distribute for the seedcircle.By than some other seedswap i am involved in are than finished.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #225 on: October 27, 2016, 07:59:55 »
Elfeda, thank you so much for your kind offer. Would love some amaranth and malabar spinach.  :wave:

Elfeda

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #226 on: October 27, 2016, 15:09:21 »
Sure Galina, will add them for you.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2016, 18:18:34 »
I have bagged up Black Prince tomatoes seed, and also have some excellent autumn planting garlic from Goodlife which I have been replanting for about 4 years now. Will they be ok if we go for after Christmas?

Pumpkinlover,  we can temporarily plant garlic cloves into pots if the weather is too bad for planting on the plot when the seed envelope arrives after Christmas.   

If it is a hardneck (flowering) garlic it does need a good bit of winter chill.  If it gets planted soon after Christmas or even up to the beginning of February, we should still be fine for enough cold weather.  If kept in pots until spring, the worst that will happen, is that it will not be brilliant in 2017.  But when replanted in autumn next year, it will thrive just fine in 2018.  Most garlic needs a year to adjust to new surroundings anyway. 

If it is a softneck (non flowering) garlic, later planting is less of an issue, because softnecks don't need the same amount of winter chill to do well.  Please remind people in the circle that you have added garlic and that it needs dealing with quickly because it is live plant material.   If kept in a warm room until seed sowing time, it might no longer be viable.   

Looking forward to your goodies

:wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2016, 18:19:17 »
Sure Galina, will add them for you.

~Thank you Elfeda :wave:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2016, 19:37:38 »
I'll try to find something, but I may have to drop out this year. Between illness and a major eye problem, which I'm still having treatment for, I've been able to do nothing at all.

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #230 on: November 03, 2016, 09:52:12 »
Hi Robert_Brenchley don't drop out because you can't find anything. Things happen in life we can't control everything, I'm still going to add extra seeds just for if you even if you drop out. I'm sure you have contributed a lot over the years. So you can have a mishap one year. 

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #231 on: November 03, 2016, 21:26:27 »
Hi Robert_Brenchley don't drop out because you can't find anything. Things happen in life we can't control everything, I'm still going to add extra seeds just for if you even if you drop out. I'm sure you have contributed a lot over the years. So you can have a mishap one year. 

Very well said! Goes for me too :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #232 on: November 06, 2016, 15:28:34 »
Thanks. I'd hate to miss out, but I didn't want to be unfair on anyone.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #233 on: November 08, 2016, 16:54:06 »
After Chrismas is good ... Just as we think the fun is all over .......  Robert,  a few circles ago  I did not have much to add and thought to pull out  but this circle is greater than the sum total of its parts .

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #234 on: November 09, 2016, 22:13:03 »
I also have enough,so robert dont drop out.You are one of the first who joined this bunch of gardenlunitics :tongue3: :tongue3:

Bluejay

• Not So New ...
  • Old Beans Should Never Die !
« Reply #235 on: November 15, 2016, 19:18:11 »
Hi Everyone,

I have a friend in Canada looking for two bean varieties, and she wanted me to put out a query here hoping that by chance someone could have gotten a hold of them in the UK and kept growing them. I will paste in her descriptions as she has typed them.

'SARAH'S OLD FASHIONED BLACK'

Originating on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, these beans were passed to their donor, Connie Howard, when she visited Hidden Cone Lodge. They seem to thrive in the British Climate, producing purple stemmed plants and green pods with a mauve tinge.

Climbing French Bean 'BOB AND MARY'

This tasty and prolific bean was donated to HSL by Elizabeth Ramsay, who had been given them by her sister's partner, a native of British Columbia, Canada. His family have grown this variety since the beginningo of the 20th century. It is thought that the family received the beans as payment for help repairing farm equipment for a Ukranian neighbor. Mrs. Ramsey says, "The pods can be eaten juicy and young or tender and mature. 

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #236 on: November 15, 2016, 20:29:05 »
Hi Bluejay,

I don't have either, but if no one else here has I can ask Heritage Seed Library if they have any in the older stock they might consider sending out? I'm about due to send in my seeds for the guardian scheme anyway.

Sarah's old fashioned black is listed here: http://www.adoptaveg.org.uk/product_range.php?action=search_range&range_id=21 and were listed in the 2013 HSL catalogue.

Apologies if this is too much of a tangent, but you're not linked to the man who bred Bluejay beans by any chance? I look at his website a lot. And quite frankly drool at all the beans shown.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #237 on: November 15, 2016, 21:42:27 »
Bluejay, I have Bob and Mary :wave:

PS: you've guessed right, Sparrow  :sunny:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 21:49:37 by galina »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #238 on: November 16, 2016, 18:08:21 »
I'll stay in, don't worry. I just feel a bit guilty, but this year's been a complete disaster all round. the one good thing is that my doctor finally worked out that I had an obscure side effect and much of it was down to my meds poisoning me.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #239 on: November 16, 2016, 19:50:59 »
I'll stay in, don't worry. I just feel a bit guilty, but this year's been a complete disaster all round. the one good thing is that my doctor finally worked out that I had an obscure side effect and much of it was down to my meds poisoning me.

Glad it's at least identified, and I hope you're recovering from the unforeseen poisoning.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal