Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2016?  (Read 125284 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2016?
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2016, 08:03:55 »
I looked at the one from last year and it looked quite gree, my one is very yellow so I don't think they are the same. It is  Pujab summer squash.
XX Jeannine What was the name of your one
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2016, 18:22:31 »
It's the same the colour's can varies depending on the stage of picking and soil nutrients.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2016, 18:58:04 »
What is the name of your one
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2016, 19:17:24 »
We call it desi kaddu. It doesn't have a special name as far as I know. I've asked a few people from my community including my parents that's what they call it. 

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2016, 22:14:02 »
Chappan Kaddu is another name.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2016, 23:21:30 »
That makes sense, I know from some of my other squash that kadoo is the Hindi word for pumpkin and I also know from another hobby that Desi simply means among other things from the continent of India.. I had no clue what the word chappan meant so I looked it up and apparently it is the number 56 so I am not sure how that fits in.. anyway it seems as though my Desi squash(pumpkin) is the same as yours so maybe not a good one for me to grow if they all got seeds last year. No problem as I have not sown them yet so I will not do as many.

XX Jeannine

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2016, 06:33:45 »
The word chappan when we say it means hidden. I spent long time trying to find proper names from some of the veg my parents grow but it gets lost in translation. In india they speak hindi,punjabi, urdu and others. It's not a problem you can add seeds this year. I always get worried about not having enough seeds of some of the varieties that I grow I have to save my own seed because I find it hard to replace them or until someone in the family goes on holiday and bring seeds back.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2016, 21:03:27 »
Oh thank you for that.. I love to get bits of info from other folks countries, seeds, fashion , crafts ,recipes etc something I have always been very interested in.

{ wo;; see what others say, I can grow them if anyone needs them.

XX Jeannine

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2016, 15:30:26 »
Can the glue constrict a flower bud so much that it cannot set fruit?  Does the emerging fruit need to be set free from a crust of glue?  At what stage is the dipping done?  How you dip a single bud without affecting the rest of the branch?.  Would it be easier to paint the glue on?  I have never tried it because I cannot picture how to do it, but I love the elegance of the concept.  Definitely ready to learn more  :sunny:

I'll try and do a picture to show you soon as I get my act together. But apply the glue whichever way is easiest for you, I think I found a small glue bottle with a narrow nozzle about the easiest handy to keep on a shelf or pocket. Apply a blob of glue to the opening end of the petals just before the bud opens, once the fruit has set they seem to have no problem breaking the old glued petals open as they grow. Hope this helps  :happy7:

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2016, 15:49:01 »
If it is only the three of us
[snip]
I'm already in this flower swap:
http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/seed-swap/flower-seed-circle-2016-a_88244.html
Might make more sense to join that than start a tiny circle here.

Thanks for that, I have taken part in other seed circles but for me A4A's my favourite. Even though the Seed Circle here is not very big, I've loved every year and I've been amazed at the wonderful, interesting and often hard to find varieties that go into the collection everyone puts in here. I'm sure the flower circle will be stunning too.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2016, 16:00:41 »

Oh thank you for that.. I love to get bits of info from other folks countries, seeds, fashion , crafts ,recipes etc something I have always been very interested in.

{ wo;; see what others say, I can grow them if anyone needs them.

XX Jeannine

These may be similar but I would suspect also with differences as they likely have been grown for local conditions and selected for traits over the years by different people/families. I'll be growing Clumsy's desi kaddu this year but would love to try seeds next year from the one you are saving.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2016, 22:31:50 »
Oh Ok Jay, then I will sow it, did you see the melon I, it was so pretty I couldn't resist buying the seeds and the climbing zuchinni. What do you think about sowing them for the circle

I have planted my last six Hero of Lockinge seeds and 4 have germinated so far.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2016, 07:50:55 »
Yes I did, it's as cute as can be, I'm really looking forward to hearing how it does for you  :drunken_smilie:

The climbing squash/zucchini are really interesting too, they look like they would just romp along with loads and loads of fruit. Let us know how they do and taste, I think an arch dripping in fruits would be awesome!

I'd be interested in any or all, melon are a little more tricksy for our climate... But please grow what you want as I'm sure whatever you choose to send will be just fantastic for the circle.

I grew Hero of Lockinge a couple of years back, so good  :happy7:

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2016, 08:50:30 »
Jeannine, the melon sounds and looks wonderful , this is one of the strengths of the circle as I have often pondered melons but never got around to growing any but with you putting them in the circle means I am going for it!  :wave:

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2016, 15:30:42 »
I've got kajari melons going too - would love to compare notes on how we both do with them. They look so stunning!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2016, 06:39:36 »
Thank you Jayb,  Yes it is becoming much clearer how to do this and by the end of summer we'll all have got the knack  :icon_cheers:  will certainly give it a try here.   :angel11:

I'll try and do a picture to show you soon as I get my act together. But apply the glue whichever way is easiest for you, I think I found a small glue bottle with a narrow nozzle about the easiest handy to keep on a shelf or pocket. Apply a blob of glue to the opening end of the petals just before the bud opens, once the fruit has set they seem to have no problem breaking the old glued petals open as they grow. Hope this helps  :happy7:

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 06:41:22 by galina »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2016, 06:49:38 »
Jeannine, what a pretty, pretty melon.  I so wish they were more reliable here.  Part the weather, part a steep learning curve - after all the gardeners of old could all do it - heated melon pits and all that.

Love the look of the squash too, both of them.  The Baker Creek sold seeds come from seeds that Joseph Simcox, the ethnobotanist brought back, Clumsy's seeds came directly from Asia.  Chances are they are of a similar type, but not exactly identical.  Jere Gettle of Baker Creek seeds mentions how early these are and how very tasty.  A real discovery.  The climbing squash looks good too, growing up draped over archways or trellis.  Great fun.  Yes please, they all make exciting additions to the seed circle.  :wave:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2016, 20:06:01 »
Ok I will do them all, when they arrive, hopefully here they will be OK as last year I was till pulling tomatoes in November from the greenhouse .Everything seem to be taking so long to get here. I got stuff from Irish Seed savers just yesterday, Still waiting for stuff from Territorial, from Jere and from three places in the UK. Even the stuff from Russia was faster.

XX Jeannine

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2016, 15:54:09 »
Seed Circle update taking part and saving ideas,

Elfeda,
Markfield rover, quietly said "Tomato Gazzi Yellow Egg, peas -Lincolnshire, Llanover, Ave Juan... Newick, Champion of England, Sharpes Liberty. CFB Neabel's  Ukrainium."
Penedesenca, Potato onions
Pumpkinlover,
Clumsy,
Silverleaf, Telephone and Champion of England peas, TPS, maybe tomatoes, barley
Martinburo,
Galina, Erfurt winter radish, CFB Breglia's Romano and Jack's Blue and Green, winter squash Todo el An~o, Norli pea
Hector,
Robert_Brenchley,
Debs, Cavolo Nero kale
Earlypea,
Squeezyjohn,
Jayb, Early Blood Turnip, 'erbs
Sparrow,
Ruud,
Sunloving,  Salmon Flowered peas, Alaskan early peas , Load buster broad beans and a purple climbing bean, sweet corn and jelly melon, cinnamon basil, Giant toms
Jeannine,  Winnie the Pooh peppers, Hero of Lockinge, tomatoes, Kajari Melon, Summer Squash, Desi, summer squash Gialla Nostrate,

Elfeda

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2016, 16:46:09 »
ordered T&M  Tomato 'Sweet Aperitif' plants, will save the seed for the circle , then possibly aubergine..my last years aubergine self saved seeds were useless, so this year I collect the seeds carefully.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal