Author Topic: Early potatoes  (Read 6727 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Early potatoes
« on: March 10, 2016, 08:44:13 »
Just wondering what early varieties everyone is going to be growing this year?

My main first earlies are Abbot, I tried them last year and they did well plus I enjoyed them very much, quick growers too. I’ve a few in buckets in the greenhouse, the first are just starting to poke through, the remainder I’ll plant if and when the plot ever dries up! Perhaps buckets would be better at least they would get planted sometime soon. I’ve also a couple of saved seed potatoes of both Elisabeth and Pentland Javelin to plant as I like both.

For second earlies I've gone for new to me Athlete, a new variety that is meant to be Late Blight resistant, not so useful in a 2nd early, but LB has struck here in June and early July.
And old favourites Charlotte and Nadine, I’ve only got saved mini tubers for these two, but hope they do well.

Anyone planting outside yet?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:19:34 by Jayb »
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Early potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 10:36:14 »
The last few years I've grown Lady Christl as earlies and then Charlotte and Desiree for keeping and eating later on and have had a lot of success with harvesting them early to avoid slugs and blight.

However I discovered a local garden centre with a much bigger range and a lot of advice so I've decided to mix it up this year.  So I'm growing Arran Pilot as earlies and then I'll have Kestrel and Harlequin as an alternative for keeping and salad potatoes.  I've never tried Kestrel but they're said to be a great all rounder with a good taste and they're officially a second early so should probably crop better than Desiree for an early harvest.  Harlequin sound especially promising ... they're a cross between pink fir apple and charlotte making long smooth waxy tubers which apparently give a really heavy yield.  I'm really looking forward to tasting them!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 14:30:35 »
Kestrel I my opinion is very good but Aran Pilot (rather an old variety) get too big too quick for an early but we all get what suits our soil and likes.

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 16:02:17 »
aran pilot, harlequin and red emallie again this year.
trying ratte, roseval and lady balfour for 1st time

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 16:22:22 »
Foremost - Kestrel - Pink Fir Apple for me!

oops forgot the Charlottes

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 18:52:50 »
i know i have 2 types but for the life of me i cant remember what they are ill have a look and try to find the lables
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 19:02:30 »
I have got Arran Pilot and Pentland Javelin for 1st earlies and Charlotte and Juliette as second earlies  not tried Aaron Pilot before but they have been recommended so I am giving them a go
Barnsley S Yorks

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 20:05:31 »
I know arran pilot are an old type - but I've been a bit disappointed with the watery flavour of rocket and lady christl in recent years and wanted to go back to something I know tastes great as a new potato.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 20:25:21 »
Agree, Arran Pilot are tasty, sometimes the more traditional varieties are the way to go for taste. Pentland Javelin are a bit moist for some people, but they taste great here, though they get quite big too.
Abbot is meant to be not far off Rocket and Swift in time to harvest, but I think taste much better. We ate some the other day, planted last autumn.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 20:42:29 »
I've had to cut down the space I usually dedicate to first earlies as I have loads of tubers I grew from TPS last year (12 new varieties) to grow out and try.

I just have Pentland Javelin and Foremost for firsts this year, the two that did best for for me last year. Maris Bard produced the most weight per plant but the tubers had loads of slug holes so by the time I'd cut out the inedible bits I lost half my crop. Swift hardly produced anything, very poor.

Seconds are Bonnie, Charlotte, Kestrel and Nicola. All did well last year so I'm growing them again.

For maincrops I have Alouette, Harlequin, Highland Burgundy Red, King Edward, Pentland Dell, Snookie and Vitelotte. Some new, some that did well last year.

And then there are my 12 new varieties which now have names and everything. Really looking forward to seeing how they do!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 07:12:55 »
I'm growing first earlies Red Duke of York, and second earlies Charlotte and Kestrel.  I've grown them all before and generally do well with them. 
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 14:03:14 »
put my first earlys in today 4 to bucket so the dont get too big think they might be rocket or in might be an old lable i found in the shed lol

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 14:09:35 »
I've had to cut down the space I usually dedicate to first earlies as I have loads of tubers I grew from TPS last year (12 new varieties) to grow out and try.

I just have Pentland Javelin and Foremost for firsts this year, the two that did best for for me last year. Maris Bard produced the most weight per plant but the tubers had loads of slug holes so by the time I'd cut out the inedible bits I lost half my crop. Swift hardly produced anything, very poor.

Seconds are Bonnie, Charlotte, Kestrel and Nicola. All did well last year so I'm growing them again.

For maincrops I have Alouette, Harlequin, Highland Burgundy Red, King Edward, Pentland Dell, Snookie and Vitelotte. Some new, some that did well last year.

And then there are my 12 new varieties which now have names and everything. Really looking forward to seeing how they do!

Wow - that is a huge number of varieties!  I don't know how I would set about remembering where I planted each type!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 17:59:52 »
Wow - that is a huge number of varieties!  I don't know how I would set about remembering where I planted each type!

Easy! I grow in raised beds divided into 1ft squares, and I draw out a plan every year so I know exactly where each plant is going.

Some potatoes are going in straw bales and I'll treat them as if each one is 3 squares, and draw a plan for them too.

I usually pop plant labels in the soil but they have a nasty habit of getting lost... with the paper plan as backup it's much safer! :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 18:16:30 »
Not even dreaming about planting yet, it will be around another couple of months before I do.

In fact I am still eating last years crop and will be for at least another month yet!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 18:25:20 »
I planted mine out today, the soil was so warm it was gently steaming as I turned it over in the sunshine this morning I planted four different varieties in my raised beds; Jazzy, Charlotte, Saxon, Nicola......I plant them in pots and earth hem up straight away.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 19:23:19 »
Not outside, but I have 2 bags of Dunluce and Charlotte started. Am not growing Lady Christl this year to give Dunluce a go - am hoping I don't regret it...

Otherwise, in no particular order I have Red Emmalie, PFA, Alouette, Snookie, Highland Red, Vitelotte, Sarpo Mira, Sarpo Axona. Not many tubers of each though. Unlike Dunluce and Charlotte, which will be a tight squeeze in the space I had had planned!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 21:26:59 »
had a bit of trouble with my windows 10 today couldnt get my one drive to work anyway heres my potato planting today in buckets

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 07:12:53 »
Gosh, that's an informative thread! Silver leaf do you eat a lot of spuds?! 12 varieties blimey
I was intrigued to discover harlequin is a pink fir apple cross Pfa are my faves but peeling them is a bugger so this sounds perfect.
 I have variety envy as the only waxy I've been able to get here - midlands Ireland- is duke of York which is a bit to early to go in. It's some steep postage charges from the uk for something more exciting. Is there an online company that does harlequin?
It's ironic since this is the first year I've got the space and manure supply to really go for it!

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 07:23:33 »
 Deb P  you said you plant in pots and earth up straight away  ? Do you put the pots in the ground and cover them up ?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal