Author Topic: Turnip help needed  (Read 2271 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Turnip help needed
« on: March 22, 2016, 00:26:56 »
 Does anyone personally know of a turnip (not swede) that doesn't taste like a radish. I have read all I can on the net about varieties many claiming to be sweet but some I have already tried and to me they are not. I dislike that bite in them  and am hoping someone can verify a variety that is indeed sweet and then I will have another try.

Thank you

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Turnip help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 16:47:37 »
try Hakurei they are very sweet but have tinge of radish but as they are so sweet it sort of hides it hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 17:25:20 »
I tried Turnip Oasis last year - http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/all-other-vegetable-seeds/turnip-oasis/433TM

Not sure it was like a melon but they are nice without the radish bite if picked small.  Quick and easy too.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 17:59:09 »
Hi, I tied the Hakurei one and I could taste the bite.. I am sunk really as I have a very acute set of taste buds. I wanted a root veggie that would pop in stews but earlier than the swede. Has anyone tried Jaune Boule d'Or ?

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 22:02:52 »
 My favourite is purple top milan .. I can eat those raw like an apple 

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 22:11:03 »
I think that this is as much to do with soil type and weather conditions as it is with variety.  On my allotment I have failed to produce a single radish that isn't ridiculously hot except for one exception during a particularly wet spell.  However when I plant the same seeds from the same packet in my back garden they're sweet and perfect for a salad every time!

I think it's probably the same for turnips - I sometimes taste the odd bit of pepperiness in a turnip but most times they're just a bit bitter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal