Author Topic: Crab Apple as a Pollenator ?  (Read 2723 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Crab Apple as a Pollenator ?
« on: March 05, 2016, 16:48:36 »
Just bought a nice but cheap Crab Apple Everest from my local 'The Range' store on a bit of a whim as I have always wanted one. Afterwards I remember reading something about crabs being useful pollenator for proper apples. I have 3 apple trees and Pollenator has at times been erratic so I am thinking this crab apple might help (TBH I needed to justify buying the new tree to myself!).

Will it make any difference. If not it's still nice to have and our blackbirds will appreciate the fruits in autumn!

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
Re: Crab Apple as a Pollenator ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 22:29:08 »
When I bought my home 19 ish years ago,there was and still is a "family apple" tree in the garden.  This as now reverted to cooking apples. I planted a crab apple tree a few yards away about 10 years ago and have notice the F/A fruits much better.  The crab apple as the most beautiful flowers in the spring, the bee's love it and the plus is several jars of lovely jelly each year.  There is a lot of different types of crab apple trees but I think they all help with the pollination. Hope this helps. Regards Taurus.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 09:26:42 »
We must plant another crab apple as, sadly, the one in our garden got some disease last year and died.

Crab apple jelly is indeed very nice, and you can also make crab apple sauce to serve with pork.  Like apple sauce but with a bit more of an edge.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 10:15:53 »
As long as it flowers at the same time as the edible apple trees then yes it will make a very good source of viable pollen.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 11:25:27 »
Thanks. Dont know if this helps but here are the varieties of apple i have:

1 Eater/Cooker: James Greive, 2x Cookers (1 each) Newton Wonder and Tom Putt.

The Crab apple is 'Evereste'.

The apples were chosen (obviously) to coincide with each others flowering - sometimes they dont for some reason :BangHead: Not sure how 'Evereste' fits in with these, cant find much info on flowering times of crab apple varieties

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 13:17:37 »
Evereste has a fairly long flowering season so it should coincide with the varieties you have.
Gardening is the great leveller.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal