Author Topic: Delivering sheds to allotments -problems?  (Read 5375 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Delivering sheds to allotments -problems?
« on: March 02, 2016, 11:49:53 »
I am in the process of looking at buying a new 8X6 shed for my allotment. Looking at the various companies on the web many seem to be wary of delivering to an allotment. I am hoping to have it delivered and self assemble it the same day (perhaps a bit optimistic!). Has anyone any experience of this or can recommend a company that will deliver to an allotment.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Delivering sheds to allotments -problems?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 12:16:23 »
I can understand re reluctance to deliver to an allotment.  Someone on ours had something delivered and was not there when the delivery arrived.  So the delivery man did not know where to put it, and there was no one to accept the delivery. 

I was not keen to sign for it because I had no idea who it was for.   In the end he left it because it was not particularly expensive item.  Not sure he would have left the shed. 

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 12:27:03 »
I am in the process of looking at buying a new 8X6 shed for my allotment. Looking at the various companies on the web many seem to be wary of delivering to an allotment. I am hoping to have it delivered and self assemble it the same day (perhaps a bit optimistic!). Has anyone any experience of this or can recommend a company that will deliver to an allotment.
we have shed delivered from b and q all the time no problem but digeroo is right you have to be there to take delivery or it gets left on the van
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 21:05:53 »
My aim was to be there at the allotment and let them in through the gates and show them where to put it. I thought perhaps the best bet would be to get them to come to my house then drive with them to the site. It only half a mile away.
However looking at the delivery info for many of the online companies they say they will only drop it on the kerbside. They won't even carry it on to your drive. Some say as a rule they will only deliver to places with a Post Code.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 21:50:06 »
I think your best bet is to source a local company rather than a national. You should be able to talk to them about your requirements e.g to give you a phone call before delivery so you can meet them on site. We have a local supplier who will build to your requirements, deliver and erect (obviously for a fee) but as he is reliable he gets business from plot holders - not just sheds but cold frames and other requirements.

Regards

Bluecar

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 09:19:03 »
I had mine delivered to the allotment but they weren't happy about it - I just gave them no other option and insisted I would be there. (and I was).

rokerman1973

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 09:41:35 »
I had a shed delivered to the allotment by B and Q. Admittedly it was 7 or so years ago. The driver was met at the gate, drove onto the allotment site and carried manually the shed parts to my plot despite there being no road access directly to my plot. It was also raining heavily. I attempted to give a tip as I felt the driver went beyond the call of duty which he refused. Thumbs up to B and Q.

florence

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 20:26:54 »
I had a new 7X5 shed delivered to site a month ago with no problem at all - there's no mobile reception but they arrived on time and met me there. This was a local company in the South West called Shed Scene - I arranged in advance that there would be some carrying involved and paid £20 extra, this was fair enough as it's uphill, a fair distance, and quite difficult terrain. We'd put the base in already and then assembled ourselves in less than 3 hours. The company said they frequently delivered to allotments and were very happy to do this.

One slight niggle was that only one key was provided and they can't be cut at locksmiths as a funny type.

I'd agree that a local company probably know the area and the site. Our allotment site is down a track that not easy to find but they knew where they were going.
My friends want to talk about their clothes shopping and don't understand the pleasures of a new shed! I'm sure there are some folk here that understand....

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 10:05:38 »
Don't know whereabouts in Brum you are George, but if you are in the Bearwood area, there is a shed shop just off the Bearwood Road junction of Sandon Road/Rutland Road you could have a look at.  Some of our plotholders recommend them.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 21:42:25 »
Thanks Lotty Lou I am in Northfield so Bearwood isn't far but looking at prices at the shop (Rutland Sheds) and it was bit more upmarket and hence expensive than I wanted. I am after a budget model!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal