Author Topic: Computer gone haywire  (Read 6549 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Computer gone haywire
« on: March 04, 2016, 23:15:28 »
Lost internet yesterday.  Found the cause to be a box buried deep in the internet controls which needs to say that it automatically detects DNS.  Please do not think I have any idea what this means.
So I ticked the right box.  Fine but ten minutes later it is unticked again.
Now A4A and some other websites have been blocked and I get a message from BT
You are seeing this page because you are using a BT service which requires the use of BT DNS Servers and it appears that you are attempting to connect using a DNS server outside of our network.
So cannot get into A4A through windows explorer.  Had to use the bing..I hate bing.  It pops up ads when you do not want them right in the middle of the screen.
BTs Mcafee says I am secure but feel as if someone is playing games with me. 
They do not seem to operate early in the morning. 
I will have to ring BT but I do hate talking to BT.  Unfortunately they do not sort technical problems over a chat line and I find the phone very difficult to understand.  Somehow my brain is not able to interpret English from Bombay.  I would have more success with German.

Digeroo

• Hectare
Re: Computer gone haywire
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 11:46:57 »
Very bizzarely after two days of random problems I can now access this site without problem.  Lets hope it lasts.

Was having problems with the weather forecast as well. 

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 12:54:46 »
Hope it is all sorted and not something iffy lurking on your machine.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 13:59:04 »
Yes had something very iffy. And not lurking either, it was brutal in its functions.

It was a DNS unlocker.  I would call it a virus but BT say it is a Trojan and so not covered by BT net protection.  Then they said they do not support windows 10.  What a joke they are!  I don't know why they did not say that they simply do not support problems period.

BT reset my DNS and then felt pleased with themselves for solving the problem.  They did not even take a note of the number it had been reset to.  Because for me that lead me to find others had been infected with DNS unlocker.  It is a real pain of a virus.  I ended up with advertisements all over the webpages and Mcafee posted Whoa do not go there messages for almost every web page.  Including BT and BBC.  Not exactly your typical iffy websites. 

I prefer the chat lines because I log in as my husband so they think I am male but on the phone they detect a female and are very arrogant.   They do not seem to be able to cope with anything you have tried already.

Finally got it sorted by going onto BT forum.  Mcafee did not detect any problem, Avasti did not detect any problem.  It took two more: Malwarebyte which detected 71 problems and AWDcleaner which found a further 15.  And I had already found and deleted a DNS unlocker program.  So in all I had 87 problems.  Seems odd that so many problems were able to evade detection.

Though I believe some of these types of programs were developed for places like China and Turkey to be able to get access to blocked websites, so they are build to evade detection.

Not clear where I picked up the problems.  Also have had to reset internet explorer which is a pain since it has lost all my passwords, so I have to reinput everything.

But please be warned BT net protection plus is a waste of space.  Worse because you think you are covered but when something goes wrong BT do not want to know.   And Mcafee just refer you back to BT.

Anyway I am now an unwilling expert in DNS unlockers.   So if you are having problems with your DNS I suggest posting on BT forum.  They have some real experts on there.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 16:10:17 »
So in all I had 87 problems.  Seems odd that so many problems were able to evade detection.

A lot of what Malwarebytes and other programs of that ilk pick up is not really dangerous in the sense that it isn't a virus or malware or even a program.  Most of the time it is picking up stuff like tracking cookies or odd registry entries.  Run Malwarebytes on any PC that is in use and it will pick something up..  I have seen it find thousands...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 17:07:05 »
Also have had to reset internet explorer which is a pain since it has lost all my passwords, so I have to reinput everything.

I and a friend had the same thing this morning after the overnight updates on Windows 10 but resolved it by just restarting the computer and all the passwords etc came back.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 18:44:50 »
I was experiencing major problems.  So I knew I had a problem.

To start with it closed my internet entirely.  Though someone was using it, because although I was not able to gain access it was down loading at a huge rate.  I believe someone was botting my computer.  Stopped it by switching the homehub off and on several times.  No fun botting an unreliable connection.  It just moves and finds another victim.

Then imagine almost every webpage more or less covered with doggy ads. and every time one opened it was blocked. 
In order to go onto BT forum I had to use my phone.

Have you met Ads by DNS unblocker?  They are very invasive.

I had to reset the settings on internet explorer

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal