Author Topic: Leave this page?  (Read 6658 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Leave this page?
« on: March 02, 2016, 12:18:43 »
Suddenly started getting this message everytime I click on anything on this site, and some others.  Anyone know how to get rid of it, it is sending me bonkers.

If I click on a link of course I want to leave the page I am on and go to another one.

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Leave this page?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 15:40:19 »
Which Browser are you using?
Gardening is the great leveller.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 17:59:01 »
This is normally a message produced by the site you are on if it thinks you have not completed a text box or similar.  So on Facebook if you start a post and don't post it then the site has some code that will pop up a message - asking if you want to leave the page or something similar.  As far as I can see there is no code that runs on this site that does that, so either your browser is in a pickle or you may have a bit of malware or possibly even by some dubious advert.

Firstup before anything - reboot.  Yes - Switch your PC off and on again.  If it still does it report back.  Are you running Skype by any chance?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 19:47:31 »
Time to do a full scan using your antivirus protection! If necessary, you could download Avira for free. Dont download a "package" or you will get more than you bargained for!!!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 21:38:57 »
I think you might have been affected by some malware I even had some on my new computer before I even used it in earnest.

I contacted my security software company because I wondered why it was not picking it up and they advised me to use the trial version of Malwarebytes and do a scan.

I did and I found over one thousand infections and that's on a new computer. These are not viruses hence my virus protection not picking them up.

I am led to believe that some of these infections can do funny things to a computer.

The  software cleared the lot in one go and my computer then worked as you would expect a new computer to do.

I did regular checks during the month trial and found that at most scans there were no infections but the few that there were were soon removed.

So this approach might be worth a try, if nothing else you will get a few scans FOC

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 20:57:40 »
Many thanks now I have cleared all the malware out the messages have gone. 

Used Malwarebytes and it found 71 problems!!!

I think it was trying to attack my bank account, because I have about 9 automated calls  from Lloyds security over the weekend.   

Must have had them for sometime because the computer is surfing is much quicker and smoother now. 

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 21:11:41 »
Very glad you have it sorted and you caught it before any serious damage. Do you have to change all your passwords and things?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 00:34:30 »
I have not changed all my passwords perhaps I should.  I have changed quite a few.  I am fairly sure it came via yahoo because 'yahoo' appeared in quite a number of files that were infected. 

I am still now sure that I understand the difference between a virus, a Trojan and malware.  Seems the protection software simply say that you have the wrong type, if they do not detect the problem!!!  As for not covering windows 10 that is outrageous.  I did not ask for it, I do not want it, I still hate it.   Basically anyone with windows 10 would appear to have a security risk if that is the case.

It is revealing that Mcafee say they have got rid of 9 viruses of which 2 were malware and 2 were Trojans so not clear why they said this Trojan was not covered.  Basically I do not think they are up to date enough. 

BT said I would have to take the computer to an engineer to get it fixed, so still cannot quite believe in the end it was relatively easy.   

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 01:06:12 »
Thanks for this.   Been having the same problem on this site and the GW forum since a recent automatic software update.    Will give it a go and see what happens.
Obxx - Vendée France

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 09:28:49 »
Done.   Brilliant.   Thanks again.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal