Author Topic: A4A Heaviest Tomato of 2016 Season  (Read 24846 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
A4A Heaviest Tomato of 2016 Season
« on: March 01, 2016, 14:39:16 »
A4A heaviest grown tomato, another round anyone?

First year winner 2012, Peanuts with a 2lbs 1/8ozs Burpees Delicious.
Year two winner 2013
Year three winner 2014, Slyfox mal
year four winner 2015, Leaningshed
year five winner 2016 ...............

To be decided, could it be you?

Last years competition http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,78703.0.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 07:47:05 by Jayb »
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: A4A Heaviest Tomato of 2016 Season
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 17:51:22 »
count me in :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 21:23:41 »
Possibly... what sort of weights are we aiming for... my yellow oxheart has approached a kilo some years.  :wave:

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 21:36:57 »
Year one winner was peanut, because I made the trophy and sent it to the winner, think it was a Burpees delicious so sly fox must be year two ,, I'm in have just sown some brandy boy . Yippee

A4A heaviest grown tomato, another round anyone?

First year winner Slyfox mal
Year two, Leaningshed
Year three, ..............

To be decided, could it be you?

Last years competition http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,78703.0.html

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 07:41:06 »
Ooops, sorry all, I remember admiring your gorgeous trophy too. I must be missing a year or two. I'll do some checking and update the thread. Thanks for pointing it out  :happy7:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 16:22:50 »
OK I am in.. with what I don't know but I'll be there XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 08:41:16 »
A lot of you out there met me a few years ago at a swap  with my seed stash in a huge suitcase , well over the years I have given many seeds away and have 2- 1 cubic foot boxes now. It worries me that I have far too many tomato seeds most of which are germinating for me but I have to pass many of these on. I am getting older and would rather give them away now rather than they end up in the garbage if I pop off. I give many transplants or seeds to the local church plant sale  and this year I am providing plants for John's care home to grow tomatoes with patients but it still leaves me many.

I was thinking I have several types specifically for giant tomato growing, all of which came from that type of site so maybe I should offer them to you folks here. So if anyone need a biggie to grow for the competition and they think they still have time to sow let me know and I will make a list.  Off my head I know there is Big Zac, Church, Rebecca Sebastians Ball Bag.. I have planted all my Mega Marv. I think there are others..Let me know   Off to bed now

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 09:15:11 »
OK I am in.. with what I don't know but I'll be there XX Jeannine

Great, look forward to hearing what you are going to grow. I think I'm going to stick with Gigantomo, although not very successful for me last year, it was more down to my bad management and the weather than the variety I think. They tasted very good which has got to be worth it. 

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 09:21:05 »
A lot of you out there met me a few years ago at a swap  with my seed stash in a huge suitcase , well over the years I have given many seeds away and have 2- 1 cubic foot boxes now. It worries me that I have far too many tomato seeds most of which are germinating for me but I have to pass many of these on. I am getting older and would rather give them away now rather than they end up in the garbage if I pop off. I give many transplants or seeds to the local church plant sale  and this year I am providing plants for John's care home to grow tomatoes with patients but it still leaves me many.

I was thinking I have several types specifically for giant tomato growing, all of which came from that type of site so maybe I should offer them to you folks here. So if anyone need a biggie to grow for the competition and they think they still have time to sow let me know and I will make a list.  Off my head I know there is Big Zac, Church, Rebecca Sebastians Ball Bag.. I have planted all my Mega Marv. I think there are others..Let me know   Off to bed now

XX Jeannine

That's a lovely offer and I'd love to grow something that could take the top spot it could be a duel entry! I'll pm you about postage. X sun loving

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 11:35:37 »
Ok Sunlovig, your seeds are packed and in the envelope for posting so get those post warmed up.

There isn't loads of anything maybe 10 but enough to get some plants going and maybe you can share your spares.

All I have written  on the packages is just the name to save time but you can look the varieties up online.

They all came from Delectation Of Tomatoes... www.delectationoftomatoes.com

Germination should be OK , the first group are 2010 the second are 2012.

Group 1.
Behemoth King 
Porterhouse     
Church..
Rebecca Sebastian's Bull Bag
Big Zac,

Group 2
Belmonte..
Brutus Magnum
Delicious seeds
Leadbeaters Lunker

I will get them in the maill on Thursday.

Good Luck

XX Jeannine

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 19:34:48 »
That's wonderful jeannine, thankyou so much, how exciting, I'll put the spares into the seed swap. Let me know re postage via pm x sun loving

pm
Ok Sunlovig, your seeds are packed and in the envelope for posting so get those post warmed up.

There isn't loads of anything maybe 10 but enough to get some plants going and maybe you can share your spares.

All I have written  on the packages is just the name to save time but you can look the varieties up online.

They all came from Delectation Of Tomatoes... www.delectationoftomatoes.com

Germination should be OK , the first group are 2010 the second are 2012.

Group 1.
Behemoth King 
Porterhouse     
Church..
Rebecca Sebastian's Bull Bag
Big Zac,

Group 2
Belmonte..
Brutus Magnum
Delicious seeds
Leadbeaters Lunker

I will get them in the maill on Thursday.

Good Luck

XX Jeannine

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 09:30:17 »
Sounds like you two will be growing some excellent big fruiters!

Anyone sown theirs yet? I'm sowing mine the first week of April, at least that's the plan!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 19:37:24 »
Yes, mine were potted on from babies yesterday.. Megamarv. and  Rachel Sebastian Ball Bag for biggies  but I am thinking about adding a couple more.. I just don't have the room.

I am not trying to win as I have an edge on you all for climate so it would be unfair but I would like to beat my personal best..in fact that is a good idea.

What is your personal best folks and what did you do it with.

I will have to look mine up.  Found it on A4A from 2014 PERSONAL BEST 2lbs 14 1/2 ozs

2015 never made it to the screen and is lost in my previous computer I think

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 19:49:31 by Jeannine »

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 09:22:53 »
I'm not really sure my largest tomato, not very me thinks!

What date do you aim for planting toms in your greenhouse?

Edit - spelling.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:31:49 by Jayb »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 21:38:49 »
Jay, I don't know, I will just wing it depending on the weather, The plants are very small, I don't usually pot them on this small but I had oversowed in the Jiffy pellets because the seed was old and they almost all came up. I didn't have the heart to snip down so I potted them all on and my spares will go to a church sale. Yesterday it was quite hot in the greenhouse but it gets cold at night

Decided not to sow anymore.

My biggest to date was the Mega Marv in 2014, this is the seed from the same fruit
 So, come on Mega Marv and Rachel Sebastians Ball Bag  and I think I will include the Hoy as a runner too.

Good Luck to everyone

XX Jeannine

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 08:49:42 »
I think generally I'm planting mine my tomatoes out later than I used to, certainly starting them later, but they do grow on better now I use lights. Cherry toms were sown towards the beginning of March and as soon as I get the omph I'll sow my main batch for the polytunnel and some for outside.

I'm hoping to sow my 'biggy winners'  :toothy10: in the next few days will let them grow on unchecked to hopefully catch the first big megga bloom when growing conditions are good. Am I right thinking your season comes a bit sooner than it does over here?

My biggest to date was the Mega Marv in 2014, this is the seed from the same fruit 

I've heard a lot about Mega Marv, definitely one to watch, though my Gigantomoes (sp) had WINNER written all over them. Trouble is it was very tiny writing!

Don't know much about Rachel Sebastians Ball Bag, not a pretty name. Look forward to hearing how they do.

We don't seem to have many joining in........

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 18:12:59 »
I like to think Rachel Sebastian was referring to her bowling ball bag when she named this one Jay but it always raising an eyebrow.

We get a longer season here, not a lot but enough that I could usually start things a bit earlier in the ground and maybe have a bit longer at the end, I am talking about frost  free dates though and sometimes the rain can be an issue especially with blight. Truthfully I don't think it makes any difference to the tomatoes as we all start indoors and most of us grow under cover anyway  so maybe I am being fanciful when I say I have an edge on you when actually for tomatoes I really don't. When I was in the UK I grew all kinds of squash that folks didn't seem to get to mature but only because I planned for the shorter season and kept them in till they were huge plants in buckets when they went out..

I only heard about the Gigantomoes this year so I have never grown it.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 07:44:35 »
Sunloving you seeds left Canada this morning from the post office, I held them back till after the Easter mail, should be with you about a week or ten days, takes longer from here to Uk rather than the other way round.   Warm up those pots !! XX Jeannine

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 09:40:01 »
Sunloving you seeds left Canada this morning from the post office, I held them back till after the Easter mail, should be with you about a week or ten days, takes longer from here to Uk rather than the other way round.   Warm up those pots !! XX Jeannine

Very exciting , thankyou so much!
Propagator has a few slots opening up !  Maybe this year we will take the top spot! X sun loving

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2016, 21:09:05 »
Well my plants are ready to go in their final spot now, they have been in the greenhouse about 2 weeks in 16 oz drink cups but they are bursting to go. so hopefully today is the day.

Message fro Sunloving  is that she got my parcel full of biggie seeds so get ready over there.

Do we not have a list of folks personal best ??

I have a picture on here from last year which was lost on my laptop when it died. but I don't know how to move it here, anyway it was 46.5 ounces which I believe is 2lbs 14 1/2 ozs, not very big in the scheme of things but am hoping to beat it.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 21:29:57 by Jeannine »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal