Author Topic: Herbs  (Read 9584 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
Re: Herbs
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 19:46:09 »
Ginger Mint is that one i can grow from seed?
Sorry for slow reply. I think we bought it as a plant. Like other mint, it is a vigorous grower.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 20:37:07 »
Not a problem i cant find Purple Sage either so will pop these on my garden centre shopping list :)

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 09:01:35 »
 I have a spare packet of purple sage seeds, if you would like .  I had a few pks of seeds popped in with  my mothers  card so have double pks of some seeds  so you would like a pk let me know

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 13:22:05 »
I have a spare packet of purple sage seeds, if you would like .  I had a few pks of seeds popped in with  my mothers  card so have double pks of some seeds  so you would like a pk let me know

Thanks thats very kind can i pay postage or sending you something back by way of a thankyou?

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 21:54:50 »
  No it ok Thanks there`s nothing I need at the mo . But I will need your address 

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 00:36:49 »
I've some Bay tree seeds on the tree if you would like some, though they are very slow to grow?

Thanks Jayb your kind but i am going to buy a bay standard to put by the back door :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 00:38:19 »
I admire your ambition with your extensive herb list, do you plan to grow them all in the same place?

For example I grow bay, basil , rosemary in pots. They do much better with winter protection, basil is one of the tender heat lovers so I only put it outside only when it's really warm midsummer. If you want to be decorative as well, having some height is  important to avoid your garden looking like a flat tray....the herb garden up the road from me at Hardwick Hall is a good source of inspiration. They use standard rosemary and lavender to add height, plus wigwams of golden hops up to 8' tall.
Sweet nicely makes quite a large plant, aromatic foliage but I didn't find the taste as nice as the smell!

Hi

I am popping these throughout the garden with some going into perm planting position such as sage and rosemary whilst others will go near other veg plants using companion planting :)

Cam

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 08:10:23 »

Thanks Jayb your kind but i am going to buy a bay standard to put by the back door :)

They do look lovely  :happy7:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 12:36:30 »
a bay standard to put by the back door

Are you going to chain it up?  they do seem able to walk.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2016, 18:17:20 »
a bay standard to put by the back door

Are you going to chain it up?  they do seem able to walk.

I hope not

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2016, 22:26:31 »
 A woman on another site  selling garden items is selling bay trees 10 for 15 quid   I asked for one I havent the room for TEN But she would not sell me just one

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2016, 12:52:39 »
A woman on another site  selling garden items is selling bay trees 10 for 15 quid   I asked for one I havent the room for TEN But she would not sell me just one

Thats a shame i have some gardening vouchers to use up so going to a garden centre :)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 07:09:22 »
Hi I have always had trouble growing fennel itself but I have bronzed fennel plants in my herb garden which have grown for years with no help needed. You use the leaves & stalks of the plant to get the fennel taste in your meals.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal