Author Topic: This Season's Progress Reports  (Read 78193 times)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: This Season's Progress Reports
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2016, 18:58:06 »
Today is a milestone for me as I've been planting out the first veg in my new garden, good life's oldambuster weir bloom and bun yards exhibition broad bean plants and a row of early onwards. Under plastic for now to settle in!
Pictures are of the poly bed half dug and some microwave dried ranunculus petals

Discovered that you can dry flowers in the microwave, what a revelation!
 So close to last frost now and chomping at the bit! X sun loving

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2016, 19:33:52 »
My tomatoes are potted on, my indoor salad garden is flourishing nicely.I have spent the last couple of weeks researching and finding a selection of mini veg seeds to start my mini garden. I have succeeded in finding pretty much everything I wanted so am waiting for a good day both in the weather and my bones to make a start. It is exciting but silly as it sound also a bit scary as I am expecting a lot from a little  and all with varieties I don't know but we will see.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2016, 20:58:12 »
So close to last frost now and chomping at the bit
You must be somewhere warm.  I do not reckon to be frost free until mid may and sometimes into june.  But I have bought two packets of fleece.  It will soon be time to get some straw bales to keep my courgettes warm.  And there are always the plastic bottles.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2016, 13:48:47 »
un covered my cut flower bed today lifted the straw and sowed some miracle grow flower seeds around the edge all set for summer flowers now
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2016, 16:58:45 »
Finished digging out couch grass roots, put in potatoes and onion sets, sowed all of my rabbit food bed, sowed about 700 F2 peas (7 breeding projects).

Exhausted!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2016, 19:03:56 »
Walking like a penguin. My body is not a temple Been clearing couch/nettles/buttercup and putting in high raised beds...and filling them.

Bought a garden trolley/ cart and so relieved we did it...much better for moving the manure than manhandling it.

S
Daughter and I had a lovely time sowing seed and monitoring progress of chill seedlings.
Jackie

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2016, 09:25:59 »
My TPS germinated yesterday, hooray! Most of my tomatoes are up too, peas outside are germinating, and the weeds are growing so fast that finding enough tasty green stuff for the rabbits is an easy job.

Such an exciting time of year. :)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2016, 15:49:48 »
tomato bed finished today despite a trip to the hospital with my dad

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2016, 16:42:42 »
Sowed carrots, spinach, mispoona, kai-lan, turnips, and salad leaves. Lots more work to do, but I'm starting to feel like I'm on top of things now.

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2016, 09:02:42 »
So close to last frost now and chomping at the bit
You must be somewhere warm.  I do not reckon to be frost free until mid may and sometimes into june.  But I have bought two packets of fleece.  It will soon be time to get some straw bales to keep my courgettes warm.  And there are always the plastic bottles.

June frosts that's unlucky! Ours are usually over by second week in April. But like you say fleece at the ready for those surprise nights!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2016, 11:32:53 »

[/quote]
June frosts that's unlucky! Ours are usually over by second week in April. But like you say fleece at the ready for those surprise nights!
[/quote]

Here too, and after a warm May, plants can be quite advanced, large and somewhat tricky to fleece effectively.  Difficult fleecing a whole garden!  We had two incidents of June frosts and on the first occasion half of the beans of one variety died.  As it happened I grew the same variety again (from own saved seeds) when we had another very late June frost.  And the frost survivors from the first event did much better than my other beans - not a single lost plant.

I wish we were reliably nearly out of frosty weather - good luck to you Sunloving on your first garden at the new location!   :wave:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:34:28 by galina »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2016, 14:25:29 »
pricked out 36 Saladin lettuce topped up my spud buckets they are growing really well and outdoors cut the grass and edged both plots of to romford dogs tonight so had to come home early by orders of her  in  doors  however tomorrow ill be sowing sunflowers and may even sow some courgettes  cucumbers are up and potted on all my pepper and chillis to 3inch pots its ment to be a good week weather wise this week so can really get on and get setfor summer

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2016, 15:50:58 »
Trying to clean out some space in greenhouse have moved all the bulbs out into pots (i have finally found some) and moved some tulips into the house to flower.

3 bags of potatoes are doing well and i will be adding more soil to them tomorrow.

Have received part of my order from T&M some little plugs which i have not potted on.

Greenhouse vents and door have been open all day so far :)

Bell peppers are sown and tomatoes and chillis will be started tomorrow.

Focus today has been getting the new slabs and concrete pressure washed so that i can have this dry and brush in some dry sand tomorrow and carry on with the fence painting.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2016, 14:10:06 »
sowed my sunflowers today and courgettes  crumbed 3 beds and done the monthly walk around the site and home for dinner at 1

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2016, 22:10:52 »
Planted out onions seedlings, cauli, cabbage, sprouts  and kale, sowed broadies, peas, carrots,  regular turnip, Gilfeathers turnip, beetroot and germinated parsnips. Fed my Garlic,potted on tomatoes again. Got all my pots ready for potatoes and beans, maybe do that tomorrow. I am taking a couple of chances but it works more often than not.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2016, 15:01:58 »
earthed up my spuds in pots they are really growing strongly peas are just peeping through rhubarb is now 2ft long crumble tomorrow yum

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2016, 16:48:15 »
Tried going to the plot this morning with the intention of planting my sweet peas, but as we arrived it thundered and thick hail came walloping down!! We managed to move the supports to the right beds, but then just ran for it!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2016, 18:16:53 »
Gallina thats the very heart of selection! Impressive!

Thankyou for the good wishes!things are starting to shape up!  All my new beds are around the polytunnel and so I'm hoping it will act a bit like a radiator and help keep the frost damage low! When I was in Lancaster 2012 was a year with no frost after 23 rd march, but the year after we had May frosts!
But worse was snow in July when we lived in the Peak District!
Here's to warm nights ahead!  X s

[/quote]

Here too, and after a warm May, plants can be quite advanced, large and somewhat tricky to fleece effectively.  Difficult fleecing a whole garden!  We had two incidents of June frosts and on the first occasion half of the beans of one variety died.  As it happened I grew the same variety again (from own saved seeds) when we had another very late June frost.  And the frost survivors from the first event did much better than my other beans - not a single lost plant.

I wish we were reliably nearly out of frosty weather - good luck to you Sunloving on your first garden at the new location!   :wave:
[/quote]

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2016, 20:18:39 »
Feeling good today about the progress I'm making. I'm halfway around creating this years 14 beds. Lovely to plant things out, I've never had the room for three varieties of broad beans before and looking forward to summer stir fries with fresh young beans. Even have strawberries in flower, this year I treated myself to some pink flowered roman. They look lovely. And greyhOund and komatsuna cabbages planted today. Looking out fo hungry pigeons but not seen any same can't be said of the slugs though!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2016, 08:28:04 »
Loads of stuff in the ground now, all the doom and gloom plotters saying it is getting colder, but only colder than the sunny spell last week, another week before we shall be really free of frosts according to who you take notice of. Sod it I've planted spuds, turnip, beet, carrots, radish plus all the hardy stuff that is usually goes in about now. I'm still twiddling my thumbs though, so a straight line down the sides of the plots for some edging up and some slugging to take care off. Greenhouse is busting with all the plants waiting to be liberated.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal