Author Topic: This Season's Progress Reports  (Read 78262 times)

clumsy

• Half Acre
Re: This Season's Progress Reports
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2016, 19:36:04 »
Chickpeas and garden peas sown direct in the soil today.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2016, 19:24:32 »
This week it has been drier underfoot to be able to wheelbarrow about 4 tons of well rotted down to the plots. Some topped up the raised beds, loads dumped on a very claggy area. Top dressed a large area, even got some peas in. I shall get another ton tomorrow (weather permitting) to use over the spud bed and spread some around the fruit bushes. Should have been done months ago but it was too wet. The trailer holds 20/25 barrow loads of muck and with a 300m round trip it has helped me to lose the last few pounds of my 3 stone between xmas and easter target. Now to lose another 3 to get me to a healthier weight by august.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2016, 22:11:25 »
thought id take home some rhubarb today for a nice crumble for tea put a second load of peas in today and sowed some early cabbage and some leeks
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2016, 22:39:03 »
Tomato seedlings all doing nicely, great as they were very old seeds, peppers still hiding.. a nice microgreens tub started ditto a slad patch. I sowed some Daubentom kale seeds and some 9 start broc yesterday so my fingers are really crossed on those two, the seeds are old as I have done very little gardening over the last three years.. hoping jut one plant may make it.

Also sown a packet of TPS that had been lurking from ages ago so I guess I am going to keep all my fingers crossed.

Some of my tomato seeds where over 10 years old though and they are doing well, I sowed many types and only 4 have failed so I am doing OK.

All my seeds have patiently been waiting to see the light while I have been unable to do anything with them, it seems most have forgiven me so I am still blessed.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2016, 23:28:31 »
Have now replaced my two old raised beds and put in a new one today. Planning to fill up the new one tomorrow with rotted straw and compost and let the worms do their work. The soil's really sticky right now with all the clay so I'm not going to even think about digging until it's improved.

I can certainly keep piling on straw/manure/compost for a few years and grow in that...

I also want three small 4' x 4' beds - one for herbs, one for plants I'm growing for my rabbits, one to use for things I'm growing for seed (peas this year). So that's the next project.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2016, 18:42:29 »
Gosh lots going on ace that's a lot of manure! And lovely to see jeannine again.

I've been digging new beds each day and making progress on the newcpoly tunnel. This week I used five internal doors to make the benches and have been prepping the 40 ft tomato bed. Feeling achey but lucky to have such growing space again after two years of no garden. Yippee. Almost at tender sowing date and can't wait!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2016, 02:14:17 »
Poked a million holes in the clay bottom of the new raised bed, hoping that organic matter will work its way down and lighten the clay up.

Dumped in about 6 months worth of rabbit litter (newspaper, paper pellets and hay as well as rabbit waste) which was absolutely teeming with worms and rotting beautifully. On top of that went four rotted bales of straw. Just the top compost layer to do now!

I still need to finish digging couch grass roots out of this year's potato bed as well.

I really want to crack on with things but I'm plagued with aches and pains and injuries. If it isn't my chilblained toes forcing me inside it's fibromyalgia backache or golfer's elbow (I've never played golf ;)). I'm having to take it really slowly. Frustrating.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2016, 07:50:13 »
Gosh lots going on ace that's a lot of manure! 

Can never have enough manure, especially on my clay ground. Did get into trouble though, with 'you silly old bugger don't you realise how old you are'.  She thinks I should slow down, but I've always worked like that. Now I will have to wait until she goes out today before I can get to work again as she stopped me yesterday.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2016, 13:15:00 »
peas today and some more potato pots drilled
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2016, 17:44:09 »
Done absolutely nothing shattered at the moment.

I sewed a lot of things last week and there all being kept watered but not felt up to doing any more.

I drove to birmingham for the NEC sewing show on friday and back via banbury and did over 7000 steps walking around the show. Have come back with an overlocker and lots more fabric :) But even 2 tired to unpack things.

Hubbie is taking me away friday for a relaxing getaway so i had not wanted to leave 2 many things needing watering but do need to crack on with a few jobs now the weather is on the turn :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2016, 12:11:11 »
Had a pricking out and potting on session this morning in the greenhouse, chillies and peppers in second pots, tomatoes in single modules. Things are starting to move now. Amazingly I'm up to date with my sowing list which is a novelty. I'm growing a lot more flowers this year, thanks to cheap Sarah Raven seeds in the Wyvales sale last year, which have been more straightforward had I used a waterproof pen for the labels, I'm now faced with trying to decipher what several trays are once they get bigger, it's more difficult than I thought it would be as some plants I haven't grown before so have no idea what they are supposed to look like!!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2016, 08:41:21 »
Fingers crossed for our usual island weather. Spuds in, peas in, carrots, beetroot and turnip seed sown. thermometer shows over 10  and rising and the grass needs cutting. Got plenty of fleece though, even though a frost will be very unlikely due to being so near to the sea.

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2016, 19:46:10 »
Since it was rainy I started the big dig in the polytunnel the middle bed 7ft x 28ft! Managed maybe a quater today, looks like I might have a mares tail issue as lots of brittle black roots! Well the sonnet I get started on rooting that out the better. Might prick out some tiny antiryhinum tonight from last years saved seed.
Isn't it satisfying to germinated your saved seed, a feeling of continuity and no money required!
X sun loving, ps debs we could have a crack if you want to post seedling pictures if that might help!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2016, 00:51:31 »
Finally managed to get some seeds in the propagator: chillies, tomatoes, TPS, potato onions, shallots. I know I'm a bit late but I'm sure it'll be fine!

I need some more fleece to keep the blackbirds off my raised beds - they keep digging for worms and displacing my seeds. Once I have that I'll sow oriental veggies, my breeding project peas, spinach and probably some cut-and-come-again salad.

Very exciting time of year!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2016, 14:17:16 »
Still feels too cold to me for a lot of things.  I have sown some peas/sugar snaps down the plot and some purple podded in the poly in root trainers - we'll see what germination we get.  Still the window sill is filling up - chilis and some toms pricked out, others will be this weekend and trays of broccoli, cabbage, khol rabi etc popping their heads up.  I keep feeling like I should be doing more and then I step outside and feel how cold it is and go back to reading my seed catalogue!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2016, 20:55:45 »
Toes are improving so I can spend longer outside, yay!

Almost finished digging the raised beds. That'll be done tomorrow and then I can put potatoes in.

If it isn't too rainy this weekend we should get the small raised beds constructed. I don't mind rain, but the electric screwdriver does... ;)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2016, 09:45:40 »
I've not done very much , sown some brassicas, dwarf French beans, and a few bits and pieces. I've some tomato, chilli, aubergine, tomatillo seedlings coming on indoors. Also lots of tps sown, some are up others are dragging their heals. My early courgettes are up in the propagator and soon to move to a sunny windowsill. I did a late sowing of sweet peas and they are growing on very well.

The february potatoes in buckets are doing really well and I'm looking forward to these  :blob7:

I've sown some of my saved oca seeds and I'm just waiting for them to germinate, they don't seem to be doing anything yet!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2016, 12:56:27 »
Got back at 2:30am this morning thanks to purple parking leaving us for over an hour before collecting us and dumping us in car park to find car :( so rather than going to work i slept and am now up and about and considering next steps in garden.

Bulbs i had wanted to plant out have mostly all gone over now so will be popping these into pots for next year :)

Suspect peas and beans will be my primary focus today :) after laundy

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2016, 21:50:10 »
I've been digging in the polytunnel, it's such a big job, taking up the turf digging and weeding out mares tail!. But at last I have reached the halfway mark and feeling good! I've now got a lovely row of turf raised beds topped with manure and covered in the hope it will rot down into loam by mid summer for the next stage of planting. Might just be mares tail heaven though! X sun loving

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2016, 13:31:19 »
Sorry, I missed the post asking what ulluco is. We've just closed down and advice centre which has been there for thirty years (we ran right out of money), and it's been rather difficult. Ulluco's a small South American tuber, and like a lot of them, it's frost sensitive and tubers extremely late.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal