Author Topic: This Season's Progress Reports  (Read 80413 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: This Season's Progress Reports
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2016, 11:18:26 »
First seedling has popped up (fennel) so hoping the others will follow soon.
Husband has emptied the pond and were hoping to get this properly setup this weekend he has also been pressure washing the slabs and the concrete so i am hoping that i can get the veg trugs into position for filling this weekend as well and maybe soil in the next 2 weeks.

yesterday had 2nd delivery from Crocus and nipped out in between showers to unpack them from there box. Dahlia (Chat Noir) was soaked and planted up and left outside to get a good soak from approaching storm. I have potted up the Begonia (Bertinii) and Begonia (Pink Giant) into peat pots and will go into hanging baskets at the weekend. The other plants Cornus Canadensis (dogwood) Hydrangea (miss saori), Filipendula purpurea (purple medow sweet) and Monarda Squaw (bergamont) are all in trays with some water in greenhouse for now. End May will be ideal for planting up main bed in back garden.

Front garden i am going to plant this up at the weekend and give everything a good feed when add the extra bark chips. Plants were bought off ebay and were amazing quality although i have popped them into green house i will be taking them out tomorrow to aclimatise before planting.

Harriet had requested that i leave her in holiday club with her friends tomorrow so i have the whole morning in the greenhouse to plant more seeds :)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2016, 14:01:58 »
onions garlic and shallots all coming along nicely just for the white rot to come along in six weeks time
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2016, 15:41:55 »
Six earlies under cloches have had their first earthing up
Garden Carrots in a Belfast sink are coming along nicely
Winter Onions are getting going
Sweetcorn are showing their heads in their pots
Rhubarb flying away
But my biggest progress is the OH helping over to the lottie on a regular basis.    :blob7:

MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2016, 08:29:56 »
caused a bit of murmuring yesterday. I put my bean sticks up. I needed to see if I had enough, there was a lot of rib nudging and nodding my way as I bet they thought I was going to start bean setting. Now I know how many to plant in their fibre pots. But there is a bit of green showing on the turnip row.

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2016, 08:55:31 »
Shallots, garlic and onion sets are now showing well. Planted second earlies and maincrop yesterday. The soil is at last becoming more workable, it seems to have taken forever to start drying out.
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2016, 09:41:36 »
It's so wet this week it's hard to make progress, however things planted and sown are doing well, my first rows of carrots and lettuce are up , a row of early onwards planted 37 days ago are finally showing! And the planted out broad beans are looking great! The tomatoes and peppers clog up every window ledge and sunny table in the long wait to the end of the frosts and they are soon to be joined by melons cucumbers sweet corn and beans!

But being inside is bad for the bank balance! I just spent £15 on more seed!
Need a heated bench in the poly to cope , that or a conservatory! 
Isn't it lovely to be putting the winter behind us and looking at a long season of growth and fingers crossed sunny weather! I've hopefully been making gardening shorts!
 X sunloving

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2016, 11:23:13 »
Yesterday i made start on the bean bed spent 2 hours in the garden and now cant move and have had very little sleep so frustrated.
Some of the herb seeds i had sown have not started to germinate but no side of tomatoes or peppers.
Potatoes are looking ace and will be covered again this afternoon :)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2016, 13:44:57 »
pricked out some more lettuce today sowed  some little gem and some basil and parsley also garlic chives the fruit plothas burst into life my williams espalier is full of buds plums all on flower my fantasia blackberry is all budded up waiting to go into flower

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2016, 15:29:51 »
as said my fantasia blackberry has some great buds on

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2016, 17:51:29 »
Planted some Chinese cabbage out in fibre pots, went home and had a cup of tea. Arrived back to net it up. Too late the thingy pheasant had been scrabbling about in the bed. Planted them back in again and netted up, then I heard the little bugger calling on another plot. Got the cattie out of the shed and bullseye! Guess what's on the menu this week, plus a set of new feathers for my morris hat.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2016, 18:33:46 »
Does that make you a pheasant plucker?!!!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2016, 18:36:35 »
Does that make you a pheasant plucker?!!!
or are you his son

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2016, 19:30:19 »
Just had a walk outside and there peeping at me are my parsnips, my turnip  my beets  and my Gilfeathers, still no sign of the carrots but I think that seed  is probably too old..
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2016, 15:58:41 »
made some new trellis to screen my engine  room today ordered two passion fruit edulis to cover it and kiwi fruit on the other you can just see it in the pic i took of my two plots  this afternoon

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2016, 17:12:28 »
first flowering clematis of the year at my seating area at my plot

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2016, 20:06:41 »
Picking Rhubarb tomorrow
Sweetcorn are 4/6 inches high
Early spuds under cloche have been earthed up twice and flying
Strawberries planted in a new bed
Old manure moved to one bin and fresh into another.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2016, 07:50:53 »
Well I laid a bit of decking (found in a skip) outside the shed and started sorting out my neighbors plot who is a bit crock at the moment.  Seedlings are doing well in the poly but it still feels cool and slow on the plot.  Spuds are in and the earlies in the garden in containers need earthing up a bit.   

At least the loft extension is coming to a finish and by the end of the week we may not be living in a building site - so fed up of living in a dust bowl!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2016, 13:44:59 »
started my comfry pigeon poo fertilizer today it takes around 6 weeks to brew it has a certain pungent aroma when its ready

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2016, 19:49:43 »
Thinned out some beets and turnips and earthed up some spuds in pots,talked nicely to the dwarf beans I had  sown in a tub in the greenhouse, they are up about 6 inches now.. I have a table top full of fridge bottoms, you know the bin that we put the veggies in, well I found 7 of them all the same and they fit really well on my greenhouse table with a small gap to pot on still. They are about 8 ins deep and the width of  a fridge so they are great for growing stuff out of season, anyway carrots are well up in one. green onions in  another, the beans as mentioned , lettuces are happy in another and  tight packed Kale about 8 inches tall. I clip of as much as I need. Time to start another one I think.

My rhubarb is well up but it looks very spindly, it was a small new plant last year though so I am hoping ut is it's youth and not shortage of full sun.

Life is good today.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal