Author Topic: Bulk buying compost  (Read 5119 times)

martinrowe

• Not So New ...
Bulk buying compost
« on: February 15, 2016, 19:28:42 »
Does anyone have suggestions of where to buy compost in bulk.  I am looking for a supplier that can deliver compost in bulk but in manageable sized bags

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Bulk buying compost
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 19:38:03 »
Others will disagree  but personally I would get a "pallet-rate " from Wickes, who will deliver at a price, but also let you collect your prepaid pallet in several journeys in a single day. Just ask the Duty supervisor. Pallets hold, I think, 42 bags @70 litres .Thats 3 trips in a Citroen Berlingo!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 20:56:02 »
Ooooh, that's my sort of unit, ansellsfarmer! I can easily relate to that!

Dreadnought by gray1720, on Flickr

(yes, the Dreadnought - large, grey, handles like a battleship - is mine)

Adrian

My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 23:36:59 »
I don't have a berlingo ... but a Fiat Doblo ... and it has that same  "orthopaedic shoe" look as my band mates call it.  Great for lumping stuff around!  It perfectly fits an IBC container with the seats down.

One day I'll get a groovy car - but for now this thing carts a family around ... it can go to a gig with tons of instruments in the back ... and it can also lump around lots of stuff for the allotment!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 19:34:41 »
Dreadnought indeed! Its the only car I've ever seen that you can open the (rear side doors )of with your elbows while holding on to a heavy crate (of beer!). Try it. Love mine to bits (!), now from the scrapyard. Done 15 years plus, 153000 miles and still in daily use. Doblo is the same car below the Italian stylo features.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 22:32:09 »
Depends what kind of compost your looking for, does your council have a recycling centre which sells back the compost from the kerb side collections this can be good and cheap :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 07:29:17 »
We get a pallet of Petersfield peat free compost delivered to the allotment. It is the best peat free compost I have used, just as good as peat based.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 09:32:30 »
We're like Pumpkin, a few of us get together and buy a pallet full then share the cost.

I think you will find that if you want it delivered you will have to be thinking in the same manner.

I think if you are thinking in terms of less than a pallet load,you will have to pay for part load delivery, meaning you are unlikely to benefit from as you put it 'bulk buying'

martinrowe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 22:09:14 »
I'm looking for a deliver option as it is difficult for me to collect it.  I have found one company that will deliver a pallet of different composts to make a full load.

We are thinking about mushroom compost as our veg plot has been made out of digging out a lawn area and an area that had trees in it.  Was thinking of using mushroom compost for improving the soil.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 23:13:07 »

We are thinking about mushroom compost as our veg plot has been made out of digging out a lawn area and an area that had trees in it.  Was thinking of using mushroom compost for improving the soil.

Be careful if you are using mushroom compost particularly if you plan to grow potatoes.

Mushroom compost can often contain quite high levels of lime which is not a good thing for potatoes but very good for brassicas.

If you do plan on growing potatoes you might be better not treating that area with the mushroom compost.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal