Author Topic: raised beds  (Read 15886 times)

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
Re: raised beds
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 20:39:45 »
My experience of timber sided raised beds is they they are a perfect homes for pests, slugs, ants, woodlice etc... also they don't last more than a couple of years... Try the concrete gravel boards used for fencing 6' x 9" ... builders scaffold planks, are probably treated with nasty chemicals :( 

I put in timber raised beds in 2008, and am only just replacing them now. And the wood's much thinner than scaffolding boards!

The ends of the boards I cut look like untreated wood to me, but I'm in no way an expert.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 13:44:47 »
My experience of timber sided raised beds is they they are a perfect homes for pests, slugs, ants, woodlice etc... also they don't last more than a couple of years... Try the concrete gravel boards used for fencing 6' x 9" ... builders scaffold planks, are probably treated with nasty chemicals :( 

Timber does have a limited life, but if it's free, who's looking gift horses in the mouth?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 17:41:36 »
I don't have any problems with pests in my raised beds either.....less compared to the open part of my plot. I did use nematodes for two years when I first started but do not bother now, it was easier to water over a confined area too.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 14:47:35 »
Timber also has the advantage of bring easily cut. I don't walk on my beds, so really they can only be maximum 4ft wide.

With concrete gravel boards you're stuck with 6ft wide beds.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 19:49:23 »
Scored myself a dozen free scaffolding boards from a local building site yesterday - six 8ft ones and six 13ft ones, enough to build three beds. My old ones had practically disintegrated!
Have a mental picture of stranded builders up on a higher level!!!!!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 20:14:29 »
Scored myself a dozen free scaffolding boards from a local building site yesterday - six 8ft ones and six 13ft ones, enough to build three beds. My old ones had practically disintegrated!
Have a mental picture of stranded builders up on a higher level!!!!!

That's funny! :D

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 11:13:09 »

Timber does have a limited life, but if it's free, who's looking gift horses in the mouth?

I'm with Robert on this one - and I use joists when I can - they are mostly from 1930s properties round here and seem to be un-treated - they certainly rot but they are good seasoned timber 5cm thick so it takes many years. Yes they do harbour pests but the only thing that stops cheap gravel boards rotting much quicker is the fact that they are heavily pressure-preserved - which also sees off the slugs etc.

When my un-preserved joists do rot they go into the bottom of next deep-chip path I set up.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 14:08:17 »
Is there anyone here who has tried using breeze blocks as raised bed edges?  I'm sure they're not the prettiest thing and quite wide, but they're strong, don't rot and there seem to be a never ending supply of them in skips outside houses being renovated!

I'm toying with the idea ... they are very heavy!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2016, 17:38:06 »
Cinder blocks are lovely and light, you can also saw them to fit an odd gap. I've used them before for a cold frame surround. They also insulate in the winter, but  keep the warmth from the sun like a storage heater.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2016, 14:08:01 »
Old blocks (70s/80s) can be disintegrated very quickly by frost, but I've got some in my back garden that I bought 25 years ago and they are fine, despite being in an exposed position holding back claggy soil - and getting walked on.

The only reason I don't use them on the allotment is that they work best mortared onto a good foundation - and my site doesn't allow anything that 'permanent'.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal