General > Top Tips

Rootrainer substitute?

<< < (2/4) > >>


This is what Wikipedia has to say....

"A root pruning container is an aid to the cultivation of young plants and trees in nurseries. There are many different designs of pots that will train the roots. One example is a truncated plastic cone in which a seedling is planted. There is a drainage hole at the bottom and the main tap root tends to grow towards this.

What this achieves is to encourage the roots the grow a denser system of root hairs. How it does this is to have the pots designed so as to air prune the roots.The advantage is when the plant is planted into its home environment it has a stronger root base to start with.[1]

When polythene bags are used instead, this root tends to go through the bag into the ground and is then broken off when the tree is moved for planting. The other roots are insufficiently developed to cope with the shock caused by this and so the tree's chances of survival are reduced. The root trainer is mounted in a stand above ground so that, when the tap root emerges, it is dried by the air. This air pruning causes the root inside the pot to thicken with stored carbohydrates which will support vigorous root growth when the plant is put into the ground.[2] The other lateral roots of the plant grow to compensate for this and so a stronger root ball is formed which improves the sapling's chances.[3]

When raising multiple seedlings, the root trainers are commonly placed in trays or racks. The size of each trainer depends upon the species but, for broad-leaved trees, the capacity will be about a cup. Vertical ribs inside the trainer are positioned to train the roots to grow downwards and so prevent root spiralling."

They seem to be talking about airpots, but also mention vertical ribs....

Tee Gee:
Root trainers in use and you can see the ribs as mentioned in the wiki article.

Hi Ya, I am trying to replace my 22cm root trainers due to them breaking at the hinge but the price seems to be rather excessive. I only want the books as I have the trays already. All I have seen are the smaller ones or the whole lot including cage. I am very interested in alternatives and your idea vin seems like it may be the thing. Could you please tell us the name of the product clip tube? where you purchase it? and possibly a photo of it so I can see it exactly before purchase. I would be most gratefull if any one could in the mean time point me in the right direction of trainers (22cm) if possible. Thanks to all and happy gardening

InfraDig: might be selling what you want.

I have only just found them, and know nothing about them!!Caveat emptor!!


--- Quote from: InfraDig on February 09, 2016, 09:33:37 might be selling what you want.

I have only just found them, and know nothing about them!!Caveat emptor!!

--- End quote ---

Haha - I just found that site and ordered a load of replacement inserts this morning.  Must be that time of the year!

at 4.99 a pop they're still quite expensive - but I have to say there's something about those rootrainers which just works to get a great root system in a tiny space and I swear by them.


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version