Author Topic: What are you sowing  (Read 6454 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: What are you sowing
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 11:39:28 »
This is my progress as of this morning

Hot bed in action

Covers removed for inspection

Germination after 4 days

Sweet Peas sown 8th January

Foremost, Charlotte and PFA chitting

Kestrel chitting

........and a passing shot of the rockery which is beginning to get a bit of colour

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 11:46:54 »
Looking good Tee Gee.    I need a bigger greenhouse methinks.

Still nothing done here yet.  Far too cold and wet and grey, plus I have a ball to organise for our dance club's 40th anniversary this Saturday so seating places to arrange and errands to run and I need to keep what nails I have kind of clean and unbroken.

Next week we're off to Amsterdam for 2 days and then the garden will be the priority unless the weather is atrocious, in which case, attic sorting and clearing.
Obxx - Vendée France

AdrianH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 20:06:35 »
First batch of chilli seeds were sown at end of December and are now potted up.
Giant onions are up - trying both Kelsae and Robinsons Mammoth this year.
Bedfordshire Champion onion seeds just starting to germinate as are Zebrune shallots.
Sweet peppers and second batch of chillis went in to propagate last weekend.
Broadbeans will be going into root trainers to germinate in a couple of weeks at half-term. Will also sow celeriac then as well.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 12:50:32 »
Shallots coming nicely, time to get the get the big propagators up and running for the chillies and peppers........but there seems to be a hitch!

The thermostat doesn't seem to be working properly. It is going up, but I can't make it go below 29 degrees even when I put it in cold water, which means it isn't switching itself on to heat it. I've had it for 6 years this year, not sure how long these things are supposed to last but it was expensive at the time. Rang the suppliers who were really helpful, and they have arranged to have it collected and updated with a new detachable thermostat ( the current one is wired in) and returned in a few days for £40 including delivery.....I thought that was pretty good considering a whole replacement would have been about £130.

I've dug out my rickety old non thermostatic controlled one that I'm sure is only heated by a concealed lightbulb to use until then, the seeds are sown so I need to do something! It's so old the plastic cover is nicotine yellow........!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal