General > Top Tips

Seed storage solutions?

<< < (3/3)

Obelixx:
I keep my seed packets in a large plastic storage box along with labels and markers and brown paper bags I keep for collecting seed.

I separate seeds into 4 old ice cream containers for fruits - toms, chillies, beans, squash etc; leaves - salads, cabbages, chard, herbs etc; roots - carrots, turnips, beets etc and flowers which are further divided into perennial, biennial and annual.

I don't do direct sowing any more so everything goes in seed trays or modules.

Don't do test sowings either.

I try to store seeds carefully, collect flower seeds from my garden but not edibles and somehow always am tempted to buy new seeds to try something new each year.

brownthumb2:
 I use a plastic 3 tier stacking system from a cheapy shop each box is about 6 " wide   and about the same height..  one for vege ... one for flowers, and one for greenhouse and herbs with the first to be planted to the front   now been given the idea of making dividers

Digeroo:
I have one of those storage boxes with England on.  It has poppers down the side to make the box but they have come undone and the seed packets are spilling out.  Not such a bright idea!!!
I have been trying to sort my by sowing month.
If I intent to repeat sow, then they get returned to the next month.
I do keep some seeds in the Freezer.   
Various own seeds are still on the windowsill where they were put to dry.
Certainly do not buy from the catalogues got most from various special offers. 

Vinlander:

--- Quote from: Tee Gee on January 30, 2016, 16:32:31 ---The simplest way I find for sorting them  is by using a MS Data base.

So as you see my way is cheap but effective!

--- End quote ---

I used to do something similar - other databases (including free ones) are available.

However I've always found analogue solutions more satisfying, simpler and often less fiddly (except for music).

I find it easier to sort the packets by first sowing month - upright in a long box (Jan at the front) and have a cursor card. When I've sown some seeds I either move the packet between me and the cursor (ie.done.) or move it to the month I'm going to repeat sow. Before I move the cursor into the next (ie. current) month I have to decide which packets to move into the next month (& in front of the cursor) for a second chance and which to give up on.

Really simple.

NB. I like using wineboxes re-sealed and split down the widest side lengthways so you can fit several in a drawer - they use drawer space more efficiently - almost to the back (I like emptying winebottles even more). A more durable solution is 5L olive oil cans (cheaper oils are available) with one of the smallest sides removed (and the edges folded over for safety).

Cheers.

PS. I use separate boxes for the really bulky seeds like peas and beans, but keep a pea card and a bean card moving about in the index as a virtual seed packet/reminder. I may use 2 cards for each in future (for runners and sugar/snap types).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version