Author Topic: Repotting into very big pots.......good or not?  (Read 4853 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Repotting into very big pots.......good or not?
« on: April 16, 2016, 12:40:30 »
I have all my 10litre flowerpots ready in greenhouse for my tomatoes. M seedlings are progressing in leaps and bounds.

In past years I put them straight into big pots after true leaves well developed.

Howere, I have heard that it's better to gradually pot on into progressively bigger sizes.....

Which methods do you folks find works well
Jackie

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Repotting into very big pots.......good or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 12:48:24 »
Usually 3"  to 5"" to 10" in other words  more or less doubling* the size in successive potting on.

* OK I know that is not mathematically correct when you consider the height of the pot.

But I am sure you understand what I mean!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 13:21:06 »
Thank you Tee gee :)
Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 19:52:07 »
Usually 3"  to 5"" to 10" in other words  more or less doubling* the size in successive potting on.

* OK I know that is not mathematically correct when you consider the height of the pot.

But I am sure you understand what I mean!
yes indeed teegee thats the way i would do it it gives the roots time to fill the compost too much compost means too much water for the roots so they could rot or  drown in the excess compost this dosent happen all the time however there is a danger so thats a reason to pot on gradual hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 04:08:01 »
 With tomatoes I go from 5 inch pots to 5 gallon buckets, never had a problem.

Actually that is not quite true, I have not used 5 inch pots for about 5 years, I  now use red 16oz plastic drink containers instead  which are a tad bigger,  so I go expanded Jiffy pellet to red cup to 5 gallon buckets.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 10:38:34 »
Ayls Fowler wrote about this a couple of weeks ago in The Guardian  ( it is online) her take was it's like children and shoes you wouldn't keep a child in shoes too small and you wouldn't put them in shoes that are too big I think she did give a more horty explanation.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 11:02:36 »
If you pot o into a too bigger pot there can be a tendency for the soil with no roots to go sour before new roots get to use the food within.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 12:02:22 »
Thanks all, really helpful.
Jackie

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 14:06:19 »
OK  - I've heeded the advice and just potted on my 12 tomato plants from 3" into 5" pots. They are in my small greenhouse along with squash, cucumber and courgette plants which have already been potted on. My question is - how long should the indoor tomato varieties now need before being transferred into their final 12" pots?

In previous years I've planted direct from 3"into the 12" pots.

Tricia :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 14:20:23 »
My question is - how long should the indoor tomato varieties now need before being transferred into their final 12" pots?

There is not really a definitive answer to your question as a lot depends upon the condition of your plants, your facilities and the weather.

But generally when the plants are 150-200mm (6"-8") tall, all fear of frost has passed and or with some varieties you might see flower buds, then it is time to get them potted up.

In your neck of the woods I would guess early to mid May would be a good time.(With me I have to wait till around the end of May)

Just as a thought if your plants in the 5" pots are not root bound then leave them to use up the nutrients in the pot then they should romp away when planted up into fresh compost!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 18:32:45 »
Thanks Tee Gee. I've planted them good and deep so they should produce new roots close to the surface too.

Tricia :wave:

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 19:19:00 »
Ps I know if Toms are a tad leggy it's good to plant a wee bit deeper.Does same apply for chillis?
Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 19:21:55 »
yes indeed plant them deep it wont hurt them youll get a stronger plant than if you you left them leggy hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal