Author Topic: Greenhouse Gardening Book  (Read 4835 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Greenhouse Gardening Book
« on: January 24, 2016, 14:32:20 »
Hi All,

Wondered if anyone can point me at a good greenhouse book or site that will take me from a novice greenhouse owner up to something
more advanced?

Thanks

Cam

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Greenhouse Gardening Book
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 17:51:42 »
In a way that depends what you want to grow.  Either a veggie book or a flower book, both usually cover greenhouse growing to some extent.  Specifically greenhouse might be an Eliot Coleman book about extending the season. 

I think of mine as a season extender as well as a summer provider.  We often get the double whammy of cool, drizzly summers and early blight with tomatoes - but the greenhouse makes both problems go away:  drier, warmer weather inside and sheltered from winds makes tomatoes and peppers so much easier to grow.  You must be diligent with ventilation (with your self-opening vents you should be ok, and in summer maybe leave the door open too). 

There is plenty of information on the web about container sizes for various plants, if you use containers and don't plant into the greenhouse borders.  You need a reliable watering system, perhaps automatic drippers on a timer.  Plants in pots dry out quicker.  There are self-watering containers with a reservoir as an alternative or you need to water once and during hot days twice a day.  There are online instructions for making self-watering containers.

Sorry to be so general, but a lot depends on what you want to grow in your greenhouse.   :wave:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 21:10:05 »
Thanks xx

At the moment its unheated so will take a while to get to the season extender side of things.

Mostly veg to be grown at this point :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 22:17:59 »
Thanks xx

At the moment its unheated so will take a while to get to the season extender side of things.

Mostly veg to be grown at this point :)

Well, the season extending does not absolutely depend on heat.  Just the few degrees extra protection offers interesting possibilities.  For example, I tend to toss old seeds into the greenhouse.  Currently I have a few carrots growing which we will hopefully eat in spring.  Couldn't do that outside.  Have taken a few celery plants into the greenhouse just in case frost will finish the outside ones.  Lamb's lettuce and endive are doing well too and a couple of years ago a rocoto pepper survived winter in the unheated greenhouse.  Can't plant outdoor tomatoes before well into May, but a month earlier in the greenhouse is ok.  Where they ripen earlier too.  With heat and with grow lights the possibilities are endless, but right as you are now, there are season extending possibilities.     :wave:

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 15:10:12 »
When I first acquired a greenhouse someone bought me this book. It has all in info you will need to get started.
Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 17:56:21 »
As mentioned a lot depends upon what you want to grow!

These charts might give you some guidance in terms of timing and if you want more info click on the title of the plant you are interested in and you will get further information.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Planners/G%20&%20hh%20planner.htm

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Planners/hp%20planner.htm

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Planners/Annual%20planner.htm

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Planners/Fruit%20&%20Veg%20planner.htm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal