Author Topic: Newbie needs help with disease or pest  (Read 4524 times)

Gui Ross

• Not So New ...
Newbie needs help with disease or pest
« on: February 21, 2016, 14:35:00 »
Hi all,
There are some brown spots on the leaves of my Jalapaņero chillies and the leaves are slowly dying. I had the same issue with my dwarf French beans a few months ago. They were at the same location but I have cleaned the containers and change the compost. I am still managing to get a decent yield from those chillies but still I would like to get rid of this issue.

Would it be a disease (fungus?) or due to the blackflies that seem attracted to my plants?

Any piece of advice would be appreciated. I have tried a soapy solution but it has been 'moderatly' (if at all) useful so far. Cf. pictures.

Thanks.

Gui.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 14:40:15 by Gui Ross »

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: Newbie needs help with disease or pest
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 14:39:48 »
Hi Gui, welcome to the site, I have no idea what your brown spots could be but just wanted to say welcome.
We have a newbie introduce yourself section and also the shed for a chat so let us know where you are and wht you are up to
Sunloving

Gui Ross

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 23:56:57 »
Hi Sunloving,
Thanks for the reminder, I don't usually use forums so I may have missed that bit. I will correct it.

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 00:31:48 »
Are there any very fine webs on the plants not orb webs but multiple trails of silk? Look closely, they might not be obvious. Anything slow moving about the size of a grain of pollen? If so, spider mites.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 08:40:20 »
Red spider mite can be a real problem, they love beans! I wonder though if white fly might be a present? Small white fies that just seem to flit about amongst the foliage, they can do a surprising amount of damage. If you are overwintering chillies some of the leaves may naturally be browning with age. Are you growing them in a greenhouse/inside?

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Gui Ross

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 10:52:53 »
Yes Jayb, I grow them inside in a large corridor with huge windows. I did saw some soider web at the bottom of the pots. If it red spider mite whst would be the most effective of getting rid of them? Thanks for the replies guys.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 08:17:23 »
A welcome from me too.

A picture would help.  Where exactly are your chillis.   Any possibility it was a draft.  I lost of lot of leaves from chillies one year when my OH decided to open a window.

If you have blackflies you would see them.  Do the brown marks have a halo.  That is often a sign of a mould.   

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 19:43:30 »
Are we talking about seedlings here or plants you are trying to overwinter? (I assume the French beans were overwintering too?).

If the latter then the plants will always be out of their comfort zone and looking for any excuse to die - unless the conditions are perfect.

Peppers are short-lived perennials at best - the only chilli species that's as tough as a pelargonium is C.pubescens.

If they are seedlings then it's complicated - you're gonna need an inquest - which means a lot more information & pictures.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal