Author Topic: A question for you; Casseille Vs Jostaberry?  (Read 10966 times)

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: A question for you; Casseille Vs Jostaberry?
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 17:56:20 »
You've just talked me into buying a Big Ben - got mine, a 1 year old plant, for £6.50 + £3.80p&p from Blackmoor :D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 19:15:26 »
I do hope you like it as much as I do. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 06:04:39 »
I have waited a very long time, but finally my Casseille has a few flowers.  No many but just enough to for the first taste.  It has been very slow getting going.
My jostaberrys which I rooted from the nice tasting plant on another plot is doing very well the ones I put to root 2016 had a good amount of flower.  I have been comparing the leaves with my original poor tasting plant and actually the leaves are different.  Each leaf has a fluted piece on it, one plant it is on the right and the other one the left.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 10:03:25 »
Ohhh exciting :D

I new I was moving plots in March, so over winter I took some cuttings from the enormous Casseille  on the old plot and just popped them into soil on the new plot. They are all growing away, so fingers crossed they have rooted.

I'm just wondering how long I'll have to wait for fruit on the Big Ben, it was a 2 year old plant.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 17:28:12 »
I would expect very little fruit the year after it is moved, and then getting going year three.  Was it a bareroots plants.  The cuttings I put to root in 2016 are now beginning to have a few flower. 

I bought several different blackcurrant bushes last year.  And only two sets have done well.  One set they sent the wrong variety - refund.  One set did not grow well and are now still smaller than some I rooted six months later - refund.  One set half of the plants have not survived the winter and no basal growth - just contacting supplier.  So the winner is Otter farm.  Their plants are magnificent, came in pots, and are now covered in flowers and a good amount of new basal growth.  Unfortunately they have put the cost of their p&p up quite a lot.   A close second is Bunkers hill farm shop.  Theirs were barerooted but I got them soon after delivery at the shop, they do not seem to have noticed the move and are also flowering.  They also have good basal growth for next year.   They only stock a very limited number of varieties.

I have waited a long time for my Casseilles.  I hope they are worth the wait, the plant was very expensive.  I have now put a small piece pf it to root.  So hopefully it will flower in 2020 but it was rather small, so it might be 2021.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 19:05:38 »
The 2nd year Big Ben was bought bare root at the beginning of October and was planted in a big tub. It had a good rootball when I planted it out at the end of March, so fingers crossed for at least a couple to taste this year :) Sounds like you've had a bad time with the blackcurrants, no problem with mine from Blackmoor.

I don't expect the Caseille cuttings to fruit for at least a couple of years, but they do grow quickly. I hope you like them when they do fruit for you.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 13:31:55 »
my two josta's are full of blossom  should be a bumper crop
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 15:59:19 »
josta's are starting to swell now

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2018, 19:28:55 »
jostas putting on some weight  now

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 17:51:36 »
They're looking good :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal