Produce > Edible Plants

A question for you; Casseille Vs Jostaberry?

(1/6) > >>

WokingGus:

Hi, A question for you all if I may? Casseille Vs Jostaberry?

I’m new to the growing my own food thing. Having only had a garden now for two years, I’ve got limited space in the garden so need to make everything count. The various books and web pages seem to concentrate on the Jostaberry. Though if the write up’s of the plants are anything to go by, the Casseille seems to be more productive with a sweeter taste. However, I notice that the suppliers sell the Jostaberry rather than the Casseille. D.T.Brown has even stopped selling it [Casseille]. Even RHS wisely only has the Jostaberry on their cultivated plots and the guys looking after the soft fruits section at RHS when asked did not seem to know a lot about the Casseille but as you’d expect knew loads about the Jostaberry.

So, my research is grinding to a halt. Casseille seems the best on write ups, but Jostaberry has the RHS/suppliers preference. Why is this when the Casseille seems a better, more productive plant?

Please may I have your thoughts as experienced growers who have experience of both?

Thanks. Gus

Vinlander:
Firstly, Casseille is both expensive and much, much newer (to the UK) than Josta.

Just about anyone who wants a Josta can get a cutting free unless they live on their own island without a boat.

Journals and the RHS are sensitive to a larger audience - and flavour seems to be of minor importance to them (how much are food growers outnumbered by flower freaks? 10 to 1? 100 to 1?).

Niche stuff only becomes news if it has some health angle - especially if married to a convenience angle (no matter how bonkers it turns out to be in the fullness of time).

I would love to try Casseille but I'm too mean to pay a premium price for it - I have lots of pals who can't resist something new (despite being good or even great & sensible people in most other ways) and one of them is bound to waver soon... :angel11: - that means I won't push it...

Anyway, Josta is well worth the space on an allotment - but it wouldn't qualify for my garden space for several reasons:

1) It tends to fruit over a short period - my garden is for things that need constant attention and/or picking - like L.caerulia - the honeyberry (sic - lousy name).
2) It is markedly blander than the Blackcurrant - it can be more pleasant to eat raw in quantity (unfortunately the pigeons agree) but much less flavour per sqm of land. Makes a reasonable juice but I tend to drink it almost neat whereas BC juice lasts me ages.
3) I think it produces less Kg of fruit per sqm too.
4) If you don't prune it regularly as a BC then it carries on producing to 2m tall like a dwarf apple - which tempts you into sloth and takes up even more land.

On the other hand it has some major good points - mainly that it's untroubled by big bud (how is Casseille??) or anything else much. And you can prune it anyhow - as a hedge if you want. It can also be significantly earlier than BCs - a welcome early taste in the Spring.

I'm sure others will fill in any gaps...

Cheers.

Digeroo:
http://www.meadowplant.co.uk/ourshop/prod_3815652-Casseille-Berry.html

A bit cheaper than T&M and gives some info about the difference

I have a jostaberry and find it very disappointing.

johhnyco15:
 i have 2 jostas and they get very big so if you only have a small place to cultivate watch out  dont know where you live but im in clacton and have some cuttings on the go at the moment so by sept this year they will be on there way to be planted out and next year you will have fruit i think they taste ok the skin can be a bit tough in jam so i pass then thru a jelly bag first hopethis helps

WokingGus:

Thank you all. Vinlander, that all makes sense. Has anybody got a Casseille? If the Josta’ is “disappointing”, Is it worth splashing out on the extra for a Casseille?

Thanks Gus

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version