Author Topic: Horse Radish  (Read 5410 times)

boydzfish

• Half Acre
Horse Radish
« on: December 31, 2015, 20:31:38 »
Was wondering about growing some of this next year at the end of my Globe Artichoke half row would be willing to swap a couple of dahlia tubers, large yellow and white, for a thong (of Horse Radish!!) from any A4A member. BTW, Happy New Year and good growing for 2016.
Boydzfish

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Horse Radish
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 10:42:17 »
There are so many growing in grassy areas practically everywhere.  This is where ours came from.  Not sure whether commercial strains are better?

I did not get the original one out in one piece (and certainly did not want to leave a lot of evidence like a big hole), but it did not matter.  Grew just fine.  Digging it up now, it never comes out whole anyway and always regrows.  Just plant it where it can be undisturbed.  Once planted you will have it for life.  At the moment mine have lost all their leaves, but in spring they are really easy to spot in grassy areas.
http://www.urbanfringe.co.uk/blog/singleblog/horseradish   :wave:

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 12:44:18 »
Unfortunately I have slung mine by accident when having a tidy up. However these will spread and grow very deep so just make sure you are not fussed about them upsetting the globe artichokes when dug up.

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 11:18:52 »
 I  have some thongs you could have  ,But don't need anything in return 

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 12:13:31 »
Mine was dug up from a neglected plot where it was growing like grass, and after about 8 years I have never had any problem with it spreading out of control. Was shocked to see average sized roots on sale the other day in a supermarket for £3.50 each!

boydzfish

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 16:59:41 »
Thanks Brownthumb2 can you post them? If so my address is James Boyd, 52 Victoria Drive, Lyneham Wiltshire, SN15 4TF. Are you sure you don't want a couple of tubers?
Boydzfish

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 19:55:52 »
Loads of it grows on my allotment, but did try to dig it up and make horseradish sauce, but decided to buy a jar.  Not being funny but don't think you should post your address on here.  Send it as a private message, just my thought.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 16:33:53 »
just thinking of p and p cost - it is  £2 at our local Wilco for one nice fat looking root.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 17:18:22 »
I cant seem to find any hot HR anymore - it all seems really mild and mellow.  I want something o blow my socks off!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 11:33:34 »
yes will send you the thongs soon as the ground is workable its like a mud bath at the moment   welcome to not so sunny cornwall

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal