Author Topic: What is this bit of my Howard 350?  (Read 7474 times)

Coastie

• Quarter Acre
What is this bit of my Howard 350?
« on: May 08, 2013, 16:47:32 »
Hi,

I have a howard 350 that I am trying to find out what a part of it is.  I think it is part of the stop mechanism - which isn't working - and hopefully this photo shows where and what it looks like.

Regards.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 16:53:17 by Coastie »

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: What is this bit of my Howard 350?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 19:13:09 »
If that Bowden cable that runs downwards is the stop actuator then I reckon you're looking at the ignition there, if it's a modern-ish engine it's probably some flavour of electronic ignition suitable for running without a battery, if it's an older engine then I rather expect it's some flavour of magneto. WHat's the make of the engine?

Coastie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 19:45:41 »
Hi,
Thanks for answering.
The engine is the original Kohler K141 and the previous owner told me the rotavator is about forty years old.

Regards.

Coastie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 20:41:49 »
Not sure what you mean by a bowden cable but if you mean the one that runs over the blue box, that is the throttle cable.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 21:44:56 »
The blue box is indeed the stop button which shorts out (grounds/earths) the signal to the coil, stopping the spark and therefore the engine. If it doesn't work I would look for an open circuit in the button or a broken wire.

I'll try to have a look at the Kohler engine on my Gem tomorrow, maybe I can get a bit more info.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Coastie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:12:58 »
Hi Robinofthehood,

I got an answer from hippydave who has a similar machine and he says it is definitely the stop button.  Shortly afterwards I found an owners manual for it online and there in front of me is a diagram telling how to stop the machine and a little picture of the part I was trying to identify.

I'll check the wiring now and see if there is a broken wire/connection there and if so fix it.

REgards.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 11:12:33 »
Coastie, did you get it fixed? As it happens I've just been given the job of fixing a similar fault on a friend's 350.

Do you still have the link for the online manual? I would come in a bit handy if you could forward it.

It looks as if it has an electronic ignition module and a condensor, which doesn't seem at all right to me. The condensor looks like a new one, perhaps fitted in error.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

dogsbody

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 14:25:49 »
I see accelerator cable, clutch cable, the small cable is coming from the magneto. The box with the small red reset button is your electrics.
I have just done a one for the allotment so I have a rough idea whats on. I ended up taking the starter assy off. Inside you will find the magneto, which if is the same will be filthy. You need to clean the two small surfaces which is positive and negative poles.replace the starter note watch the rope. The other thing I found was the gap on the plug was tight , this should be set to 0.025 thou. Before fitting the plug do a spark test by holding the earth part of the plug close to any bare part of the engine and get someone to plug the starter cord for you. If you get a good spark you should start.if not you will have to post another massage.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal