Author Topic: Removing blade on rotary mower?  (Read 4286 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
Removing blade on rotary mower?
« on: December 21, 2015, 15:46:13 »
I've just attempted to change the blade on my elderly Mountfield rotary mower, only to discover that the bolt has been bashed so often that it was nearly round before I started, and putting a socket on it has made it worse.

Any bright ideas? It's so worn as to be beyond sharpening .

Thanks,

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Removing blade on rotary mower?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 16:42:47 »
My OH said that a Stillson wrench may move the bolt. Put plenty of penetrating oil first and leave it a while. The larger the Stillson wrench, subject to size of bolt, will give you better leverage. Make sure the blade is secured whilst doing it by using a wooden wedge.  If you have a grip on the bolt using the wrench and it still doesn't turn, hit the wrench with a hammer.

If that fails and there are no plastic or flamable parts, heating the bolt first with a heat gun can sometimes help, but only if it's not a petrol mower. 

As a last resort, drill a hole into the centre of the bolt and use a bolt extractor. 

Simples!!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 17:35:30 »
Have before now filed flats on either side of the bolt head and then used a Stilson wrench on it.
Gardening is the great leveller.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 19:49:12 »
Remember to disconnect the sparkplug lead first, think aeroplane! Remember to turn it anti-clockwise to remove. A Heavy blow to the bolt head may shift the rust up into thhe thread in the end of the crankshaft. Some versions had an alloy collar or spacer and electrlytic reaction may have bonded the alloy to the steel thread. A heavy blow to the end of the blade with a copper mallet, in the correct direction may unwind the whole lot, especiallly if you can lock up the shaft.
If all fails, visit your local civic amenity tip. A whole lot of good machinnes end up there, a cheap source of parts and  engines .I have picked up mowers , allways choose Briggs and Stratton for reliability, I collect these a s and when available, usuaally for £3-£4 complete..
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 21:03:07 »
Thanks for all the good advice - I've a loan pair of Stilsons coming on Christmas day, so I'll clobber it with the penetrating oil in the morning and let it soak. If it rounds further, hammer/file time.

I had remembered the plug lead, thank goodness. Never forgotten the old boy who worked for my Granny who had two badly misshapen fingers from trying to adjust the fanbelt on a running tractor engine...

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 14:33:41 »
A bit of heat will help, get the hair drier when she ain't looking, not the gas gun though.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal